Oblique slab of conducting material placed in a capacitor

• Thread starter stefano77
  • Start date
In summary: How does this help us understand the problem?The symmetry only says that the distribution of charge on the pair of surfaces near one plate will be echoed by the distribution on the other pair. How does this help us understand the problem?In summary, the electric field is orthogonal to the surface of the slab and the charges are uniformly distributed.
stefano77
Homework Statement
oblique slab of conducting material in capacitor
Relevant Equations
noone
l have an oblique slab of material conducting in a capacitor. The plates of capacitor are infinite, parallel and far. How is E field inside capacitor?

Physics news on Phys.org
stefano77 said:
Homework Statement: oblique slab of conducting material in capacitor
Relevant Equations: noone

l have an oblique slab of material conducting in a capacitor. The plates of capacitor are infinite, parallel and far. How is E field inside capacitor?
In what way is the slab oblique? I assume it is finite.
What is the exact question? What does it mean to ask how it is? ("How are you, E-field?", "I'm fine thank you")
Per forum rules, please show your attempt.

Likes MatinSAR and vanhees71
sorry for my bad english, l am italian. l would like to know what is the value of E inside the capacitor. the slab is finite, but l suppose infinite as it happens in these exercises. Moreover I suppose slab far from plates of capacitor

stefano77 said:
sorry for my bad english, l am italian. l would like to know what is the value of E inside the capacitor. the slab is finite, but l suppose infinite as it happens in these exercises. Moreover I suppose slab far from plates of capacitor
Think about how the charges will be distributed on the slab.

Are you sure that this belongs in the introductory-physics category? If I understand the question right, it's a pretty complicated electrostatic boundary-value problem, i.e., a conducting slab within an (asymptotically) homogeneous electric field. If it were parallel to the (asymptotic) homogeneous field, I'd imagine it as a solvable question, but even this is a bit advanced. I guess, I simply don't understand the detailed setup right.

charges will be distributed on the the slab in an uniform way cause of the simmetry. The problem is similar to capacitor with parallel plates with electric field null outside the slab. Then the original electric field don't change. But this is the problem in my opionion. The electric field isn't orthogonal on the surface of plates.

Likes vanhees71
stefano77 said:
charges will be distributed on the the slab in an uniform way cause of the simmetry. The problem is similar to capacitor with parallel plates with electric field null outside the slab. Then the original electric field don't change. But this is the problem in my opionion. The electric field isn't orthogonal on the surface of plates.
You did not answer my question about in what way it is oblique. From the above, I gather it is not parallel to the plates. If so, the charges will not be uniformly distributed across a surface.
However, the net field will be orthogonal to the surface. That is necessarily the case for any conductor.

Likes vanhees71
it is just not parallel to the plates. But there is symmetry so that charge is uniformly distributed. l suppose.

stefano77 said:
there is symmetry so that charge is uniformly distributed
The symmetry only says that the distribution of charge on the pair of surfaces near one plate will be echoed by the distribution on the other pair.