Oblique collision with two spheres one of which is at rest

In summary, a smooth sphere of mass m with initial velocity of 8i + 4j collides obliquely with a smooth sphere of mass 2m at rest. After the impact, the m mass is deflected through 90 degrees and its velocity can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation. The velocity of the 2m mass after impact can be found by using the fact that the angle of deflection is 90 degrees and that the angle of impact is tan-inverse(1/2). The coefficient of restitution between the two spheres can be calculated using the equation (v1 - v2)/(u1 - u2) = -e, where e represents the coefficient of restitution.
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

A smooth sphere of mass m collides obliquely with a smooth sphere of mass 2m which is at rest.The velocity of the mass m was 8i + 4j before impact, where i is along the lines of centres at impact.the m mass is then deflected through 90 degreese by the impact. find
(i) its velocity immediately after impact.
(ii)the velocity of the 2m mass after impact.
(iii) the coefficient of restitution between the two spheres

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum

and

(v1 - v2)/(u1 - u2) = -e coefficient of restitution

The Attempt at a Solution

i is the horizontal axis along the line of centres at impact.
j is the vertical axis.

j is unaffected by the impact

(i)
conservation of momentum along the i axis
m(8) + 2m(0) = m(v1) + 2m(v2)..... 8 = v1 + v2

I'm not exactly sure what to do, i'd guess it involves the fact its deflected through an angle of 90 degrees?

since its original angle was j/i = 4/8 = 1/2 ... tan-inverse(1/2)

would that not mean that the spheres angle relative to the i axis after impact is tan-inverse(2)

since tan-inverse(1/2) + tan-inverse(2) = 90 degrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got the answer to part (i)

since the original angle is tan-inverse(1/2) the new angle is tan-inverse(2)

we can use j/i again j/i = 2 we know j is unchange since i is along the line of centres at impact

so... 4/i = 2

i = 2

but since its deflected "i" is actually negative so the velocity after impact is -2i + 4j

I just finished the question there, sorry about that.

Related to Oblique collision with two spheres one of which is at rest

1. What is an oblique collision?

An oblique collision is a type of collision that occurs between two objects that are moving at different angles. In other words, the objects are not moving towards each other directly, but rather at an angle.

2. How is an oblique collision different from a head-on collision?

In a head-on collision, the objects are moving directly towards each other and collide head-on. In an oblique collision, the objects are moving at an angle, resulting in a glancing collision.

3. What is the conservation of momentum and how does it apply to oblique collisions?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant before and after a collision. In oblique collisions, the total momentum in the system is conserved in both the x and y directions.

4. How does the angle of collision affect the outcome of an oblique collision?

The angle of collision between the two objects affects the direction and magnitude of the final velocities of the objects after the collision. The greater the angle, the more glancing the collision and the less energy is transferred between the objects.

5. Can the coefficient of restitution be used to determine the outcome of an oblique collision?

Yes, the coefficient of restitution can be used to determine the outcome of an oblique collision. It measures the elasticity of the collision and can be used to calculate the final velocities of the objects after the collision.