Solving the Transverse Wave on a Rope: Tension and Force

In summary, we have discussed the transverse displacement of an harmonic wave on a stretched rope, with a given equation y = 0.04 cos(2.5 t - 3.3 x). Using this equation, we were able to calculate the tension in the rope to be 0.1716. We then moved on to discussing the force exerted by the rest of the rope on a section of the rope at time t = 0, where two points have 0 displacement. We used the small-angle approximation and found that the net force on the loop is 2F, where F is the vertical component of force found using tan(θ)= 0.132.
masamune
The transverse displacement of an harmonic wave on a stretched rope is y = 0.04 cos(2.5 t - 3.3 x), where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. A 5 meter length of this rope has a mass of 1.5 kg.

a) What is the tension in the rope?
b) At time t = 0, consider a 1/2 wavelength long section of the rope which is carrying the wave y = 0.04 cos(2.5 t - 3.3 x) between two points which have zero displacement (y = 0). Find the total force exerted by the rest of the rope on this section. Neglect any effects due to the weight of the rope. Use the small-angle approximation where q, sin(q), and tan(q) are all approximately equal to each other.(see attached picture)

I managed to get part a by using the general equation y = Acos(kx-wt) where A is amplitude, k is the "wave number", and w (omega) is the angular frequency. Therefore, I was able to use v=sqrt(T/u). u is the mass per unit length of the rope (1.5/5) Then I found the tension of the rope to be 0.1716

For part b, I realize that the tension due to the left half of the rope pulling the loop is down and to the left and the tension due to the right half of the rope pulls the loop down and to the right. I can't figure out what is the net force on the loop or what direction it points. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• showme.gif
    showme.gif
    883 bytes · Views: 531
Physics news on Phys.org
You have already calculated the tension,T, on the rope. Take it to be horizontal and find the vertical component of force from tan(θ)= F/T. The horizontal components of force, being T left and right, will cancel and the net force is 2F.

How do I find the angle? What does theta correspond to in the first place? I understand that the left and right horizontal components of the force cancel though. I tried substituting 90 degrees since the two forces are perpendicular to each other, however this didn't give me a correct answer..could you please elaborate?

Last edited:
You are told that the "at t=0, two points have 0 displacement"- that is, y= 0.04 cos(2.5 t - 3.3 x) = 0.04 cos(0-3.3x)= 0.04 cos(3.3x)= 0 or cos(3.3x)= 0 so you can find x. (3.3 x= -π/2 and 3.3 x= π/2.). The tangent of the angle (i.e. the slope) is the derivative with respect to x there: y'= (0.04)(-sin(2.5t- 3.3x)(-3.3) which, at t=0 and x= +/- π/6.6, is: 0.132 sin(+/- π/2)= -0.132 and +0.132. You don't actually need the angle, just tan(θ)= 0.132. The force on the right is given by
F/T= 0.132 and the net tension is 2F.

1. What is a transverse wave on a rope?

A transverse wave on a rope is a type of mechanical wave that travels along the length of a rope, causing the individual particles of the rope to move in a perpendicular direction to the direction of the wave's motion.

2. How is tension related to transverse waves on a rope?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through the rope and is responsible for creating and maintaining the transverse wave. The amount of tension in the rope affects the speed and amplitude of the wave.

3. What factors affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope is affected by several factors, including the length and weight of the rope, the angle at which it is held, and any external forces acting on the rope.

4. How is force related to transverse waves on a rope?

Force is the energy that is transferred through the rope to create the transverse wave. The force is directly proportional to the tension in the rope, and an increase in force will result in a corresponding increase in tension and vice versa.

5. How can we solve for the tension and force in a transverse wave on a rope?

To solve for the tension and force in a transverse wave on a rope, we can use the equations T=μv^2 and F=μv^2, where T is tension, F is force, μ is the linear mass density of the rope, and v is the velocity of the wave. We can also use the equations T=mgcosθ and F=mgsinθ, where m is the mass of the rope, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle at which the rope is held.