Understanding Int(0,infinite)[f(x)]^2dx Convergence

• Thread starter eljose79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of the integral of a function f(x) from 0 to infinity and whether this implies the convergence of the integral of f(x)^2. The question is clarified and an example is provided, with further discussion about the definition of "tends to" and its implications for the convergence of f(x)^2.
eljose79
A question ...

Let suppose we have a function f(x) so

Int(0.infinite)f(x)dx=N N finite number then my question is ..would be this f(x) a L^2(0,infinite) function so

Int(0,infinite)[f(x)]^2dx is convergent?..thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think so.

If the infinite integral exists, then except on a set of measure zero it must be that f tends to zero, so pick T such that |f| is less than 1 for almost all x greater than T and the answer becomes clear.

Am I misreading this? The question asserts that the integral of f from 0 to infinity exists and asks if it follows that the integral of f2 exists. I don't see how that implies that, except on a measure 0, f "tends" to 0. (In fact, I don't see what "tends" to means. At each point f is either 0 or it is not!)

What about f(x)= x-1/2 for 0< x< 1 and f(x)= 0 for x>=1.

The integral from 0 to infinity is 2, a finite number but
f2= 1/x for 0< x< 1, 0 for x>=1 which cannot be integrated from 0 to 1.

OK, am wrong - i was thinking of the problems of the wrong kind in the integral (an infinitely long bit such as the tail of 1/x rather than singular values). I wasn't particularly happy with it there either. I was thinking of bounded functions on R.

Tends to (in this strange sense) means that for all epsilon, there exists and R such that |f|<epsilon for all x>R except for a subset of zero measure. Ie tends to in the usual sense except that there may be a measure zero set on which there are arbitrary values, such as sin(x)/x for x not in Z and 1 for x in Z.

What is the definition of convergence?

Convergence in mathematics refers to the tendency of a sequence of numbers or functions to approach a specific value or limit. In the context of integrals, convergence refers to the behavior of the integral as the upper limit of integration approaches infinity.

What does the notation "Int(0,infinite)[f(x)]^2dx" mean?

This notation represents a definite integral, with the lower limit of integration being 0 and the upper limit being infinity. The function being integrated is f(x), and the square notation indicates that the function is being squared before being integrated.

What does it mean for an integral to converge?

If an integral converges, it means that the value of the integral can be determined to a specific, finite number. In other words, the area under the curve of the function being integrated is finite.

How can I determine if an integral converges or diverges?

There are various methods for determining the convergence or divergence of an integral, such as the comparison test, the limit comparison test, and the integral test. These methods involve evaluating the behavior of the function being integrated as the limit of integration approaches infinity.

Why is it important to understand the convergence of integrals?

Understanding the convergence of integrals is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science, such as in calculus, physics, and engineering. It allows us to accurately determine the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values. It is also important for solving real-world problems, such as calculating areas and volumes, and for developing numerical methods for approximating integrals.