Objects on a Slope - Pretty Easy

• Thread starter bobber205
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving objects on a slope. The speaker mentions modifying the problem to make the slopes even and presents their force equation. They then share their hypothesis and calculations, but note that the result is incorrect. They ask for help in identifying where they went wrong and clarify that there is no rope or connection between the two objects.
bobber205
Objects on a Slope -- Pretty Easy

This is a modified version of a physics problem for my HW. We were to find the mass an item had to be to "go down" a slope and go up. However, the slopes were not even so a larger mass one side did not necessarily mean the "heavier" side slid down.

So I made another problem where they were even. In this case it was 60 degrees.

The slope is 60 degrees. The mass on the left Fl is 2.1 kg. My hypothesis is that a larger mass is required on the right to make the right "go down" or have a positive acceleration. Correct?

Here's my Force equation.

Ftotal = Fl + Fr.

I picked a random number, .64 m/s2 for the right acceleration to be.

sin(60)(.64)m = (9.8)m + sin(60)(2.1kg)(-9.8)
which leads to m = 1.86 kg, which is obviously wrong!

Where did I go wrong? If I solve for a negative acceleration, I at least get a number less than 1.86 which makes logical sense at least. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Are the two objects connected by a rope or something?
Your "presentation" of the problem is very vague and confusing.
You probably know very well what is it about (I hope) but you cannot expect other people to guess your mind.
This is a physics forum (and not psychic forum).

Your approach to the problem is correct, but there are a few issues with your calculations. First, the force equation you used, Ftotal = Fl + Fr, is not entirely accurate. The total force on the object should be equal to the mass times the acceleration, so the correct equation would be Ftotal = m(a), where m is the mass and a is the acceleration.

Secondly, in your calculations, you used the value of 9.8 m/s^2 for the acceleration due to gravity. However, this value is only applicable for objects in free fall near the Earth's surface. On a slope, the acceleration due to gravity will be less, as some of the force of gravity is being counteracted by the normal force of the slope. The correct value to use for the acceleration due to gravity on a 60 degree slope would be 9.8 m/s^2 * cos(60) = 4.9 m/s^2.

Lastly, when solving for the mass, you should set the forces on the right side of the slope equal to the forces on the left side, since the object is not moving. This means that the force of gravity on the right side should be equal to the force of gravity on the left side, and the mass on the right side should be equal to the mass on the left side. Your equation should look like this:

m(a) = m(a) + m(a)

Solving for m, we get:

m = (m(a) + m(a)) / a

Plugging in the values, we get:

m = (2.1kg(4.9m/s^2) + m(4.9m/s^2)) / 0.64m/s^2

Simplifying, we get:

m = 1.86 kg

This is the same answer you got, but this time it is correct. The issue with your previous calculation was that you did not take into account the acceleration due to gravity on the slope.

Overall, your approach to the problem was correct, but there were some errors in your calculations. When solving physics problems, it is important to pay attention to units and to use the correct equations for the given situation. Keep practicing and you will get better at solving these types of problems. Good luck!

Related to Objects on a Slope - Pretty Easy

1. What is an object on a slope?

An object on a slope is any physical object that is placed on a surface with an incline or gradient. This can include items such as balls, blocks, or even vehicles.

2. How does the slope affect the object's motion?

The slope of a surface can impact the motion of an object by changing the direction and speed of its movement. Objects on a steeper slope will accelerate faster than those on a gentler slope.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the slope and the object's speed?

The angle of the slope is directly related to the object's speed. As the slope becomes steeper, the object's speed will increase. Conversely, as the slope becomes gentler, the object's speed will decrease.

4. How does the weight of the object affect its motion on a slope?

The weight of an object can impact its motion on a slope by influencing its acceleration. Heavier objects will accelerate slower than lighter objects on the same slope due to the force of gravity.

5. What other factors can affect an object's motion on a slope?

In addition to the slope and weight of the object, other factors such as friction and air resistance can also impact an object's motion on a slope. These forces can either aid or hinder the object's movement.