Objects connected, what is the force of one exerted on another

• Thread starter katamoria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem involves a short train accelerating at 1.1 m/s^2 with each car having a mass of 38000Kg and negligible frictional forces. The goal is to determine the force of the engine on the first car and the force of each car on the car in front of it. This can be solved by drawing free body diagrams and taking into account the mass of each car and the acceleration of the entire train.
katamoria

Homework Statement

A short train (engine + 4 cars) is accelerating at 1.1 m/s^2. if the mass of each car is 38000Kg, and if each car has negligible frictional forces acting on it, what are a) the force of the engine on the first car, b) force of the first car on the second car. and so on.
Note the importance of selecting the correct set of cars to isolate as your object.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn a picture of the whole train traveling in the +x direction, and I've drawn the free body diagrams of each individual car with standard coordinate system, Normal and weight forces acting in the y directions, and the acceleration acting in the +x direction.
I know that there is no net force in any y direction. The only net force is the acceleration in x direction.
I'm probably making it too hard, but is it just plug in the mass of the car and the acceleration? does it make no difference where in the line up the car is, the force acted on each car by the car in front of it is the same for each one, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm... I'm not quite sure, but I'm pretty sure that you need to take into account the car in question as well as every car before it. Because if you're looking for, say, the force on car 3 exerted by car 2... Well, car 2 is being acted on by both the engine and car 1, so the force accumulates. I think you need to use the mass of the entire train from the engine back to the car in question.

okay. ^.^

Related to Objects connected, what is the force of one exerted on another

1. What is the concept of force between two connected objects?

The concept of force between two connected objects is the amount of energy or strength that one object exerts on another. This force can either be a push or a pull and is measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How does the force exerted on one object affect the other?

The force exerted on one object affects the other by causing a change in its motion. If the force is greater than the object's mass, it will accelerate in the direction of the force. If the force is equal to the object's mass, it will remain at a constant velocity. If the force is less than the object's mass, it will decelerate or come to a stop.

3. What factors determine the strength of force between two connected objects?

The strength of force between two connected objects is determined by the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the objects and the smaller the distance between them, the stronger the force will be.

4. Can the force between two connected objects be negative?

No, the force between two connected objects cannot be negative. Force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. A negative force would indicate a direction opposite to the applied force, which is not possible in this scenario.

5. How is the force between two connected objects calculated?

The force between two connected objects can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force (F) is equal to mass (m) times acceleration (a). This can be represented by the equation F=ma. In cases where both objects are in motion, the force can also be calculated using the Law of Action and Reaction, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.