Objects and distinction is object vs subject incoherent?

• Thread starter 2foolish
  • Start date
In summary, Einstein's theory of general relativity states that time, space, and gravitation are not separate from matter and physical objects are not in space but are extended in space. The concept of empty space loses its meaning and objects can only appear as a limited region with high field strength or energy density. The conversation then discusses the concept of subjectivity and objectivity and how they relate to existence. The conclusion is that everything in existence is objectively connected and any concept of subjectivity is incoherent.
2foolish
I have a question I've been wondering for a long time, I'm not sure if it belongs here but I assume that QM people might be able to answer it.

Einstein said the following:

When forced to summarize the general theory of relativity in one sentence:
Time and space and gravitation have no separate existence from matter. ...
Physical objects are not in space, but these objects are spatially extended. In this way the concept 'empty space' loses its meaning. ... Since the theory of general relativity implies the representation of physical reality by a continuous field, the concept of particles or material points cannot play a fundamental part, ... and can only appear as a limited region in space where the field strength / energy density are particularly high. (Albert Einstein, 1950)

If physical objects are not "in space", then what are they existing "in" per se? And most importantly when we consider "insideness" vs "outsideness" (an idea in our minds vs the "outside world"

Is the concept of subject vs object incoherent? is an object both an object and a function at the same time? if we look at a car in the "outside world", the notion of a car in our minds is directly connected to the car in the outside world, i.e. there is no inside vs outside because reality is all connected at all times (no symmetry of existence, i.e. if existence exists, then everything that exists, must ultimately derive itself from a prior existence or the whole concept of naturalism breaks down completely). If we are derived from a prior existence (i.e. we are born from our parents, made of pre-existent matter and energy, etc), and everything in the universe is uniformly connected in ways we don't (fully)understand, and that this interconnectedness is the basis for naturalism. (i.e. naturalism becomes incoherent if we DON'T believe nature is all connected at all times).

How is anything technically an "object" that is in the ultimate sense 'disconnected' from anything else in the universe? It seems to me that all objects are also functions at the same time. i.e. how is a particle of matter/energy distinct from all the rest of the energy in the universe, doesn't it all share and is made of the same ultimate energy? i.e. conceptually if we were to represent each object inside space it would look like everyone is trapped in a kind of strange gelatinous fluid in which we could move in interact.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the concept of subjectivity incoherent?

sub·jec·tiv·i·ty

–noun, plural -ties for 2. 1. the state or quality of being subjective; subjectiveness.
2. a subjective thought or idea.
3. intentness on internal thoughts.
4. internal reality.

But if your thought exists, and you are a derived from objective existence (i.e. you are made of matter and energy that pre-existed, and you are derived from objective matter and energy, and your thoughts are derived from your mind and ACTUALLY exist or you wouldn't be able to detect them) then how can anything be "subjective" because it is all derived from objective reality? there is no disconnection in the chain here:

matter and energy exist--> you are born from this-->your body is formed--> your mind is formed --> your mind forms thoughts from matter and energy, which are made of matter and energy.

How can existence be subjective, if existence by definition is objective reality? The concept of inheriting the property of objective reality (because you believe you exist right, and that you can detect, see, change and modify your really existing thoughts, right?)

If this is true then this can only mean one thing: There are only objectively existing statements who are more or less correct in mapping to things we can detect exist.

How can subjectivity be the antonym of objectivity, if by definition anything that exists, must exist objectively because we can detect that it exists? You can't detect something that is not existing by definition.

I can understand the confusion and questions surrounding the concept of objects and distinction in relation to the theory of general relativity. However, it is important to keep in mind that the theory of general relativity is a complex and abstract theory that is still being studied and understood by scientists.

In regards to the question of whether the concept of subject vs object is incoherent, I would say that it is not incoherent but rather a matter of perspective. In the context of general relativity, physical objects are not seen as separate entities existing in a distinct space, but rather as part of a continuous field. This means that the concept of "insideness" vs "outsideness" becomes irrelevant, as everything is connected and part of the same field.

Furthermore, it is important to note that the concept of an object being both an object and a function at the same time is not a contradiction. In fact, in the field of quantum mechanics, particles are often described as both particles and waves, highlighting the duality of their nature.

In regards to your question about how anything can be an object if it is ultimately connected to everything else in the universe, I would say that the idea of distinct objects is a useful construct for us to understand and interact with the world around us. While everything may ultimately be connected, our perception and understanding of the world is limited and it is through the concept of objects that we are able to make sense of our surroundings.

In summary, the concept of objects and distinction may seem incoherent in the context of general relativity, but it is important to understand that this theory is still being studied and our understanding of it may evolve over time. Additionally, the concept of objects and distinction is a useful construct for us to make sense of the world, even if it may not fully align with the fundamental nature of reality.

Related to Objects and distinction is object vs subject incoherent?

1. What is the difference between an object and a subject?

The terms "object" and "subject" are often used to describe the relationship between two things. An object is typically seen as the thing that is being acted upon, while a subject is the one performing the action. In other words, an object is passive and a subject is active.

2. Can an object also be a subject?

Yes, in some cases an object can also be a subject. This usually occurs in sentences where the object is also performing the action. For example, in the sentence "The dog chased the cat," the dog is the subject and the cat is the object. However, in the sentence "The cat chased the dog," the cat is both the subject and the object.

3. Is the distinction between object and subject necessary?

The distinction between object and subject is necessary in order to clearly understand the relationship between two things. It helps us identify what is being acted upon and by whom. Without this distinction, communication and understanding would be more difficult.

4. How is the concept of object vs subject used in science?

In science, the concept of object vs subject is often used in experiments and observations. The object is the thing being studied or observed, while the subject is the one conducting the experiment or making the observations. This distinction helps scientists accurately describe and analyze their findings.

5. Is the idea of object vs subject incoherent?

No, the idea of object vs subject is not incoherent. While there may be some overlap between the two, they serve different purposes in language and in scientific study. Without this distinction, it would be difficult to accurately describe and understand the relationships between different entities.