How Do Object Space and Image Space Affect Lens Calculations?

In summary: Therefore, in summary, for an object distance of 200 mm, an object space index of 1.5, and a front focal length of -80 mm, the effective focal length is 53.33 mm and the magnification is -2/3. The image is inverted.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

For an object distance z = 200 mm, an object space index n = 1.5, and a front focal length ff = −80 mm, what is the effective focal length f and the magnification m? Is the image upright or inverted?

Homework Equations

Lots and lots of gaussian and Newtonian imaging equations!
But I'm guessing one of the equations is: ##\frac{z}{f_f} = 1-\frac{1}{m}##

The Attempt at a Solution

My confusion here has to do with the optical spaces. Since z is positive, the object is to the right of the lens. But is the object space to the right of the lens as well? I've read in my book that optical spaces actually extend from negative infinity to positive infinity, but I don't quite understand it yet. Also, which index of refraction, n or n', is 1.5?

Nevermind, I'm stupid. They tell me it's ##n## right in the question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Using the equation above, I get:

##\frac{z}{f_f} = 1-\frac{1}{m} ##

##\frac{200}{-80} = 1-\frac{1}{m}##

## \frac{5}{2} = \frac{m-1}{m}##

##5m=2m-2##

##3m=-2##

##m=-\frac{2}{3}##

I'm stupid, they tell me ##n## right in the question. Using the following equation:

##\frac{z}{n}=\frac{1-m}{m}f_e##

Plugging in 1.5 for ##n##, 200 for ##z##, and ##-\frac{2}{3}## for m gives me 53.33 mm.

Related to How Do Object Space and Image Space Affect Lens Calculations?

1. What is the difference between object space and image space?

Object space refers to the coordinates and dimensions of an object in its own local coordinate system. Image space, on the other hand, refers to the coordinates and dimensions of an object in relation to the image it is being displayed on.

2. Why is it important to understand the concept of object space vs image space?

Understanding the difference between object space and image space is crucial for accurately representing and manipulating objects in digital graphics. It allows for proper scaling, rotation, and positioning of objects in relation to the image they are being displayed on.

3. How does object space relate to 3D graphics?

In 3D graphics, object space refers to the coordinates and dimensions of a 3D object in its own local coordinate system. This is important for creating realistic and dynamic 3D scenes, as objects can be manipulated and positioned in relation to each other within their own coordinate system.

4. Can object space and image space be converted?

Yes, object space and image space can be converted using mathematical transformations such as translation, rotation, and scaling. This allows for objects to be accurately represented in different coordinate systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using object space vs image space?

One limitation of object space is that it is relative to the object's local coordinate system, so it may not accurately represent the object in relation to the image it is being displayed on. Image space, on the other hand, is limited by the resolution and dimensions of the image, which can affect the accuracy of object representation.