Object sliding down inclined plane

In summary, when solving for the speed of an object sliding down an inclined plane, the equation Kinitial+Uinitial=Kfinal+Ufinal should be used. The height (h) should be the vertical distance the object moves, not the distance along the incline. In this case, the height should be 4sin30.
akatsafa
An object slides down an inclined plane of angle 30 degrees and of incline length 4m. If the initial speed of the object is 5m/s directed down the incline, what is the speed at the bottom? Neglect friction.

I used Kinitial+Uinitial=Kfinal+Ufinal. I got 2gh+5^2=v^2, but when I solve for v, I get 10.17m/s. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
akatsafa said:
I used Kinitial+Uinitial=Kfinal+Ufinal. I got 2gh+5^2=v^2, but when I solve for v, I get 10.17m/s. What am I doing wrong?
What did you use for h? h must be the vertical distance the object moves, not the distance along the incline.

Should I use 4sin30 as my height?

akatsafa said:
Should I use 4sin30 as my height?
Yes. That's the height.

Related to Object sliding down inclined plane

1. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the speed of the sliding object?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the faster the object will slide down. This is due to the increased force of gravity pulling the object downward.

2. What factors influence the acceleration of the sliding object?

The acceleration of the sliding object is influenced by the angle of the inclined plane, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity. The greater the angle and force of gravity, and the lower the mass, the greater the acceleration.

3. Is the motion of the sliding object on an inclined plane considered uniform or accelerated?

The motion of the sliding object on an inclined plane is considered accelerated, as its velocity changes due to the force of gravity.

4. How can the coefficient of friction affect the motion of the sliding object?

The coefficient of friction between the object and the inclined plane can impact the motion of the object. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a slower and more controlled descent, while a lower coefficient of friction will result in a faster and less controlled descent.

5. What is the relationship between the height of the inclined plane and the distance traveled by the sliding object?

The distance traveled by the sliding object is directly proportional to the height of the inclined plane. This means that as the height of the inclined plane increases, the distance the object will travel also increases.