Object Rotating on a Semicircle

• Thread starter RoyalFlush100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotating
In summary, a 700-g collar C slides on a semicircular rod rotating at a constant rate of 7.5 rad/s. The friction coefficients are μs = 0.25 and μk = 0.20. The net acceleration is found to be 28.125 m/s^2, directed towards the center of the circle. The normal force is perpendicular to the surfaces and may be either towards or away from the center of the semicircle, while the force of friction is tangent to the semicircle. The force of static friction is not necessarily at its maximum value and may adjust itself to provide the observed acceleration.
RoyalFlush100

Homework Statement

A small 700-g collar C can slide on a semicircular rod which is made to rotate about the vertical AB at a constant rate of 7.5 rad/s. The coefficients of friction are μs = 0.25 and μk = 0.20.
Determine the magnitude of the friction force exerted on the collar immediately after release in the position corresponding to θ = 75 degrees.

Pic attached below

Homework Equations

F = ma
an = d^2r/dt^2 - r(dθ/dt)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by determining net acceleration.
a = (0.5 m)(7.5 rad/s)^2 = 28.125 m/s^2 pointed towards the center of the circle.
So the net force is going to equal (0.7 kg)(28.125 m/s^2) = 19.6875 N towards the center of the circle.

But I'm not sure what the FBD would look like in this case. I know that it'll have weight vertically down, but I am not sure how to set up the normal and frictional forces in this instance.

Attachments

• Problem 3.png
    Problem 3.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
RoyalFlush100 said:
But I'm not sure what the FBD would look like in this case. I know that it'll have weight vertically down, but I am not sure how to set up the normal and frictional forces in this instance.
The normal force is perpendicular to the surfaces being in contact. Its direction must be radial, either away or towards the center of the semicircle. The force of friction is tangent to the semicircle. It muSt be static friction because immediately after release, the collar has not started moving yet. However this force of static friction does not necessarily have its maximum value. Also, your number for the acceleration,
RoyalFlush100 said:
a = (0.5 m)(7.5 rad/s)^2 = 28.125 m/s^2
is incorrect. The circle that the collar describes is a horizontal circle, the radius of which is not the radius of the semicircle. Look at the drawing and imagine the collar spinning about the vertical axis. The normal force and the acceleration will be in the same direction only if θ = 90o. Keep in mind that friction and the normal force are contact forces that adjust themselves to provide the observed acceleration, so start from figuring out what the correct acceleration is and then make sure that the sum of all the forces divided by the mass gives that acceleration.

Related to Object Rotating on a Semicircle

1. What is the relationship between an object rotating on a semicircle and circular motion?

An object rotating on a semicircle is a type of circular motion, specifically a type of uniform circular motion where the object's speed is constant and its direction changes continuously along the semicircle.

2. How does the radius of the semicircle affect the object's rotational speed?

The larger the radius of the semicircle, the slower the object's rotational speed will be. This is because the object has to travel a longer distance along the semicircle in the same amount of time, resulting in a lower speed.

3. What is the centripetal force acting on an object rotating on a semicircle?

The centripetal force is the force that pulls the object towards the center of the semicircle, keeping it in circular motion. It is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its tangential speed squared, divided by the radius of the semicircle.

4. Can an object rotating on a semicircle experience acceleration?

Yes, an object rotating on a semicircle can experience acceleration. This is because acceleration is a change in velocity, and the object's velocity is constantly changing as it rotates along the semicircle.

5. How does friction affect an object rotating on a semicircle?

Friction can affect an object rotating on a semicircle by slowing it down or causing it to deviate from its intended path. This is because friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, and can disrupt its circular motion if it is not accounted for.