Object on a Rope: Momentum & Kinetic Energy

• Thread starter fizics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rope
In summary, the problem involves a point object connected to a cylinder via a rope that winds up around the cylinder as the object moves. The tension in the rope can cause it to break. The question is whether the kinetic energy and angular momentum are conserved in this scenario. After analyzing the motion and considering the external forces, it is determined that both the kinetic energy and angular momentum are conserved in this system. The cylinder can be treated as part of the system, which means that the total angular momentum is conserved.
fizics

Homework Statement

A point object of mass m is connected to a cylinder of radius R via a massless rope. At time t = 0 the object is moving with an initial velocity v perpendicular to the rope, the rope has a length L, and the rope has a non-zero tension. All motion occurs on a horizontal frictionless surface. The cylinder remains stationary on the surface and does not rotate. The object moves in such a way that the rope slowly winds up around the cylinder. The rope will break when the tension exceeds Tmax.
I wonder if the momentum and kinetic energy of the object are conserved in this case.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think? Is there more to the problem than your question? (What are they asking you to find?)

The problem actually has two questions,but both of them involve whether the kinetic energy or momentum is conserved.So after knowing whether they are conserved,I would solve the problem.The answer suggests that kinetic energy is conserved,while the angular momentum is not.But I can't get why.

Is work being done?

Is a torque being exerted?

I think there is work and no torque.

Last edited:
fizics said:
I think there's work done on it
What's doing the work?

The tension exerted by the cord is pulling the object closer to the cylinder,so it's doing work;but on the other hand,since both the mechanical energy and potential energy doesn't change,the kinetic energy should be conserved.I am confused.

Last edited:
fizics said:
The tension exerted by the cord is pulling the object closer to the cylinder,so it's doing work;
The cord is definitely exerting a force on the object, but to see if work is being done you must compare the direction of the force to the direction of the instantaneous velocity of the object.

Consider the other end of the rope. Is any work being done there?

The force is always perpendicular to the direction of velocity.Can I divide the process to many many uniform circular motions,where the radius is decreasing?Thus the kinetic energy is conserved.
And what about the angular momentum?I think there's no torque acting on it,so it's conserved as well.

Yes, kinetic energy is conserved since no work is done.
fizics said:
And what about the angular momentum?I think there's no torque acting on it,so it's conserved as well.
Consider the angle that the rope makes with respect to the radial direction.

(If both kinetic energy and angular momentum are conserved, you'll have some explaining to do since the radius decreases.)

Thank you.I know why I was confused.I was always thinking in a reference system where the tangential point made by the rope and cylinder is stationary,but actually it should be in one where the cylinder is stationary.

Last edited:
I looked at the question concerning the momentum again,it says:
"What is the angular momentum of the object with respect to the axis of the cylinder at the instant that the rope breaks?"
I paid too little attention too these words.

Can't we treat the cylinder as part of the system? If so, then wouldn't the torque be internal and thus conserve angular momentum?

compwiz3000 said:
Can't we treat the cylinder as part of the system? If so, then wouldn't the torque be internal and thus conserve angular momentum?
Since the cylinder is kept stationary, there are external forces acting. But if you included the cylinder+attached Earth as part of the system, then you'd be correct that total angular momentum would be conserved.

Related to Object on a Rope: Momentum & Kinetic Energy

1. What is momentum and how does it relate to an object on a rope?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and it is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In the case of an object on a rope, the object's momentum is affected by both its mass and the speed at which it is moving along the rope.

2. Can the momentum of an object on a rope change?

Yes, the momentum of an object on a rope can change. This can happen if there is a change in the object's mass, velocity, or both. For example, if the object's mass increases or decreases, its momentum will also change. Similarly, if the object's speed along the rope increases or decreases, its momentum will also change.

3. How does kinetic energy play a role in an object on a rope?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of an object on a rope, its kinetic energy is directly related to its velocity. As the object moves along the rope, its kinetic energy will change depending on its speed. This change in kinetic energy will also affect the object's momentum.

4. Can an object on a rope have kinetic energy without momentum?

No, an object on a rope cannot have kinetic energy without momentum. Kinetic energy is directly related to an object's velocity, which is a part of its momentum. Therefore, if an object has kinetic energy, it must also have momentum.

5. How does the length of the rope affect the momentum and kinetic energy of an object?

The length of the rope does not directly affect the momentum and kinetic energy of an object. However, the length of the rope can indirectly affect these factors by influencing the object's speed. For example, a longer rope may allow an object to reach a higher speed, resulting in a higher momentum and kinetic energy.