Object floating on water with oil poured in

In summary, the block of wood in water would have a buoyant force due to the weight of water displaced. The buoyant force after oil is put is greater than the buoyant force before oil is put.
happysmiles36

Homework Statement

A block of wood floats in a bucket filled with water. You pour some oil into the bucket. The oil floats on top of the water and that a part of the block is now in water, part is in oil, and part is in air. What happened to the volume of the block that is in air when you put in the oil?

a) Stayed the same
b) Decreased
c) Increased

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think it increased because oil is less dense than water. I am having trouble figuring out whether the extra buoyant force from the oil is enough to cause the volume of wood in air stay the same. I think that it isn't enough and that the volume of wood in air would decrease. I also don't think staying the same would make sense because if the volume is the same, then the wood would keep rising so it can't be covered with oil and I don't think this happens because most pictures show the wood still being in water when oil is covering it.

Please help, I'm confused!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest to work things out mathematically .

Before oil is put - Let height of the block in air and in water be h1 and h2 respectively .What is the buoyant force in this case?

After oil is put - Let height of the block in air , oil and water be x1 , x2 , x3 respectively .What is the buoyant force in this case ?

Compare the two forces .

Tanya Sharma said:
I would suggest to work things out mathematically .

Before oil is put - Let height of the block in air and in water be h1 and h2 respectively .What is the buoyant force in this case?

After oil is put - Let height of the block in air , oil and water be x1 , x2 , x3 respectively .What is the buoyant force in this case ?

Compare the two forces .

F(buoyancy) = g*(density)*volume(in fluid)
The l*w*(h2)* 9.81 would be the buoyant force since that is the weight of water displaced
After oil is put in, the buoyant force is (l*w*(x3)*9.81) + (l*w*(x2)*9.81*(density of oil))I am kind of confused at this part because I'm not sure what I am looking for between these two. Without any numbers to go off of, its hard for me to visualize it in a mathematical way.

EDIT:
Bit more stuff:
If the area of the base of the block is (imagining) 10 and the density of oil is (0.8) then:

(10*9.81*(h2))= 98.1(h2)

and

(10*9.81*0.8*(x2))= 78.48(x2)
(10*9.81*(x3))= 98.1(x3)
Total force = 78.48(x2) + 98.1(x3)

Again I don't see how these two separate things can be related since x and h are different.

Last edited:
happysmiles36 said:
F(buoyancy) = g*(density)*volume(in fluid)

The l*w*(h2)* 9.81 would be the buoyant force since that is the weight of water displaced

After oil is put in, the buoyant force is (l*w*(x3)*9.81) + (l*w*(x2)*9.81*(density of oil))

I am kind of confused at this part because I'm not sure what I am looking for between these two. Without any numbers to go off of, its hard for me to visualize it in a mathematical way.

What is 'l' ? What is 'w' ? Which variable represents density of water ? Which variable represents density of oil ?

Please rewrite your expressions using ρw as density of water and ρo as density of oil .Instead of 9.81 use 'g' for the sake of clarity .

ρw=density of water
ρo=density of oil
ρ=density
l= length
w= width
g=9.81
h2= height in water
x2=height in oil
x3=height in water

The l*w*(h2)*g*ρw would be the buoyant force since that is the weight of water displaced

After oil is put in, the buoyant force is (l*w*(x3)*g*ρw) + (l*w*(x2)*g*ρo)

I am kind of confused at this part because I'm not sure what I am looking for between these two. Without any numbers to go off of, its hard for me to visualize it in a mathematical way.

EDIT:
Bit more stuff:
If the area of the base (l*w) of the block is (imagining) 10 and the density of oil is (0.8) then:

Total buoyant force = (10*g*(h2))= 98.1(h2)

and

(10*g*0.8*(x2))= 78.48(x2)
(10*g*(x3))= 98.1(x3)

Total buoyant force = 78.48(x2) + 98.1(x3)

Again I don't see how these two separate things can be related since x and h are different.

Last edited:
happysmiles36 said:
ρw=density of water
ρo=density of oil
ρ=density
l= length
w= width
g=9.81
h2= height in water
x2=height in oil
x3=height in water

The l*w*(h2)*g*ρw would be the buoyant force since that is the weight of water displaced

After oil is put in, the buoyant force is (l*w*(x3)*g*ρw) + (l*w*(x2)*g*ρo)

Ok .

So, we have F1 = ρwgh2(lw) , where F1 is buoyant force before oil is put

and F2 = ρ0gx2(lw)+ρwgx3(lw) , where F2 is buoyant force after oil is put .

Now , what is the relation between F1 and F2 ? Is F1>F2 or F1<F2 or F1=F2?

Don't look at the expressions on the right side . Just think ,how the two buoyant forces are related.(Hint:The block is in equilibrium in both the cases)

F1=F2

If the block is in equilibrium then in the first one, F1=Fg and all the displaced fluid is water
and in the second one, F2=Fg but the fluid is in water and oil.
So F1=F2

If the buoyant force is the same, then the volume of air surrounding the block decreases because there is no change in buoyant force meaning it can't rise with the height of the added oil?

Edit:
When i think of the block floating in oil and water, I see the buoyant force greater in water than it will be in the oil, so the block moves up slightly (relative to water) because the block is displacing oil. But since the oil is less density, the effectiveness of the buoyant force is less meaning it moves down (relative to air). Does that make sense? or am I misunderstanding something.

Last edited:
Yes , F1=F2 .

So, ρwgh2(lw) = ρ0gx2(lw)+ρwgx3(lw)

Cancel the common factors on both the sides . What do you get ?

Likes 1 person
ρwgh2(lw) = ρ0gx2(lw)+ρwgx3(lw)
g and (lw) cancel
so, ρwh2 = ρ0x2+ρwx3

The height of the block in water will decrease since there is oil and oil is less dense than air. But how does this tie back to the block being in air? It seems to me that I am only comparing the height in water because I don't know how much the buoyant force is causing the block to rise relative to the increasing height of oil.

Edit:
I thought of something else. Since the oil is on top of the water, the block has to first displace oil before water. Since the density of oil is lower than water, more fluid has to be displaced to counter act this (same volume in oil = less buoyant force than in water). The wood is in water as well as oil so the buoyant force of the wood in oil isn't enough and that means the water has to make up for this to allow it to float. Therefore more volume is submerged and less is in air?

Last edited:
happysmiles36 said:
ρwh2 = ρ0x2+ρwx3

Now divide by ρw on both the sides and express h2 in terms x2 and x3 .This expression will give you the answer.

From the above expression can you deduce whether h2 < (x2+x3) or h2 > (x2+x3) )

(Hint:Think about the ratio ρ0w)

Last edited:
Can't you only express h2 in terms of x2 and x3 if the heights submerged are the same? Like saying h2=(x2+x3) would be assuming that the height of the block in water is the same as in oil+water.

po/pw will be less than 1 since p0 is smaller than pw.

Edit
if h2 is = to x2+x3

then

x2+x3 > (#<1)x2+x3

but the original equation was equal, so this would be wrong right?

Last edited:
happysmiles36 said:
Can't you only express h2 in terms of x2 and x3 if the heights submerged are the same? Like saying h2=(x2+x3) would be assuming that the height of the block in water is the same as in oil+water.

The height submerged are not the same .Nobody is assuming h2=(x2+x3) . I simple asked you to find whether h2>(x2+x3) or h2<(x2+x3) from the final expression we have got.

happysmiles36 said:
po/pw will be less than 1 since p0 is smaller than pw.

Right.

Sorry I misunderstand what you meant by expressing h2 in terms of x2 and x3.

Anyways, h2<(x2+x3) since the p0/pw is not here.

because x2+x3 is larger, than more of the volume is submerged and less is in air when compared to h2.

Thanks I got it now, sorry for so many questions.

You are welcome :smile:

Related to Object floating on water with oil poured in

1. What causes an object to float on water with oil poured in?

When a liquid is poured on top of another liquid, the two liquids do not mix due to differences in density. The denser liquid, in this case oil, will float on top of the less dense liquid, which is water. The object placed in the water will then float on top of the oil layer.

2. Why does the object float on the oil and not sink?

Since the object is less dense than the oil, it will float on top of the oil layer. This is because objects will float if they are less dense than the liquid they are placed in.

3. What happens to the object when the oil is removed?

When the oil is removed, the object will float on top of the water layer. This is because the object is still less dense than water, so it will still float.

4. Can any object float on water with oil poured in?

Yes, any object that is less dense than the oil and water can float on top of the oil layer. However, the size and shape of the object may affect how it floats and its stability on the surface.

5. Is it safe to touch the object floating on water with oil poured in?

It depends on the type of object and the type of oil used. Some objects may have sharp edges or be made of materials that could harm the skin. Additionally, some oils may be toxic or harmful to touch. It is best to avoid touching the object and oil layer unless you know it is safe to do so.