Object Acceleration with Vertical Forces: Rising or Descending?

• Thread starter paperboy221
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary: So I don't know what I was thinking with the directions, but it still seems to me that the acceleration would be the same, as acceleration is dependent on mass and force, and if all forces are equal, then acceleration should be as well. (the force of friction would be dependent on direction) You don't need to draw a new diagram for the descending case. Just label the existing one "rising" and draw the "descending" one below it. Then you will have two cases to compare. You do need to draw the "descending" case. It is not enough to just say "the same diagram can be used" and then use it for both. As I said, draw it
paperboy221

Homework Statement

An object is moving vertically while being pulled from above by a rope (or cable, wire, or string). The object is also subject to a significant air resistance force that can't be ignored. All forces acting on it are strictly vertical (pointing up or down only).

Question: If the magnitudes of all forces remain the same, does the object have a greater acceleration if it's rising or if it's descending?

To answer this question, create an appropriate scenario, then draw two FBDs for the object, one for the case in which it's rising, and one for the case in which it's descending. Use N2L and your FBDs to derive expressions that will allow you to calculate the magnitude of the object's acceleration in each case.

Review the summary sheet on FBDs before starting your solution

The only starting equations permitted for this assignment are ΣF = ma and FG =mg

Derive symbolic expressions for the acceleration in each case, then substitute and calculate

Attachments

• media-767-76778a73-ac80-4d12-9823-3a8292bf972f-phpsSvin5.png
    media-767-76778a73-ac80-4d12-9823-3a8292bf972f-phpsSvin5.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 378
  • media-767-76778a73-ac80-4d12-9823-3a8292bf972f-phpsSvin5.png
    media-767-76778a73-ac80-4d12-9823-3a8292bf972f-phpsSvin5.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
Could someone help me create a scenario? Thanks!

paperboy221 said:
Could someone help me create a scenario? Thanks!

Please post your images properly; they are sideways now, and so will be ignored by almost everybody.

Welcome to PF!

Your work for the case of rising looks good. There is no need to write the friction force in terms of speed, you could just write the friction force as f, say.

You will need to repeat for the system descending. (You posted two figures for rising, but none for descending.)

I'm not sure what is meant by creating an "appropriate scenario". That could mean coming up with a specific physical scenario or it could mean different mathematical scenarios that addresses different cases depending on the relative sizes of the individual forces. I'm inclined to think it's the latter.

Anyway, after you deal with the descending case you will want to compare your acceleration formulas for ascending and descending.

As Ray pointed out, it would be appreciated if you could rotate your figures so we don't get a crick in the neck. :smile:

I flipped the images around!
Thanks

TSny said:
(You posted two figures for rising
To be precise, the same image posted twice.
paperboy221 said:
I flipped the images around!
They're still not upright.

haruspex said:
To be precise, the same image posted twice.
Precise, indeed.:smile:

Since they specify ALL forces remain the same whether its rising of falling, it would lead me to believe the acceleration would be the same, as acceleration isn't dependent on direction.. the force of friction would be dependent (and opposite as always) the direction of motion, but is the only force which changes direction

Rx7man said:
ALL forces remain the same
It says their magnitudes remain the same.

Sorry for the inaccuracy.. , you are right

1. What is magnitude?

Magnitude refers to the size or amount of something. In science, it is often used to describe the strength, intensity, or extent of a physical phenomenon, such as force or acceleration.

2. How is force measured?

Force is typically measured in units of newtons (N). It can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration, as described by Newton's second law of motion (F=ma).

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg), while weight is measured in newtons (N).

4. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2).

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

The greater the acceleration of an object, the faster its velocity will change. If an object has a positive acceleration, it will speed up. If it has a negative acceleration, it will slow down. Acceleration can also cause a change in direction of an object's motion.