O-H Bonding (and ion dissociation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of H2O during the combustion of H2 and its relationship to the electronegativity difference. It also touches on the dissociation of NaOH in water and other polar solvents and how solvation affects the process. The question of how NaOH dissociates in aprotic solvents is also addressed.
pzona
This is probably something I should know, but I don't want to wait and ask my professor. In the combustion of H2, assuming O2 is plentiful enough not to be a limiting reactant, H2O forms as a result of the O-H bond being more stable than the bonds between two H or two O. Is this due to the electronegativity difference?

On a related note, although the answer might be the same, in a hydroxide's dissociation in a solution (let's say the dissociation of NaOH into Na[tex]^{+}[/tex] and OH[tex]^{-}[/tex] in water), the OH[tex]^{-}[/tex] ion remains held together because of this bond, which is due to the difference in electronegativities, correct (aside from the fact that there isn't enough energy to break it)? And if so, what equation would I use to calculate the temperature or kinetic energy of the water needed to dissociate it further into H[tex]^{+}[/tex] and O[tex]^{2-}[/tex]?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
pzona said:
This is probably something I should know, but I don't want to wait and ask my professor. In the combustion of H2, assuming O2 is plentiful enough not to be a limiting reactant, H2O forms as a result of the O-H bond being more stable than the bonds between two H or two O. Is this due to the electronegativity difference?

The electronegativity difference will tell you which atom gives an electron and which accepts the electron and perhaps the polarity of the resulting bond but is doesn't say anything about stability per se. It has to do with the energy level of the molecular bond vs the energy level of the individual atomic orbitals.

On a related note, although the answer might be the same, in a hydroxide's dissociation in a solution (let's say the dissociation of NaOH into Na[tex]^{+}[/tex] and OH[tex]^{-}[/tex] in water), the OH[tex]^{-}[/tex] ion remains held together because of this bond, which is due to the difference in electronegativities, correct (aside from the fact that there isn't enough energy to break it)?

Not really... that OH- group swaps out that hydrogen with the solvent. In this case, it can also swap out the oxygen!

for example:

OH- + HOH <------> HOH + OH-
or
OH- + HOH <--------> OH- + HOH

Okay that leads me to another question then. In another polar solvent, such as THF, does the NaOH dissociate in the same way? And if so why?

It still dissociates, although solvation is generally different for ionic compounds in protic vs. aprotic solvents since aprotic solvents don't have hydrogens that can participate in hydrogen bonding..

pzona said:
Okay that leads me to another question then. In another polar solvent, such as THF, does the NaOH dissociate in the same way? And if so why?

NaOH ionizes into Na+ and OH- but the hydrogen and the oxygen do not swap out with the oxygen and hydrogens of THF.

Related to O-H Bonding (and ion dissociation)

1. What is an O-H bond?

An O-H bond is a chemical bond between an oxygen atom and a hydrogen atom. It is a covalent bond, meaning that the atoms share electrons to form the bond. The oxygen atom has a higher electronegativity than the hydrogen atom, so it pulls the shared electrons closer to itself, creating a polar bond.

2. How does an O-H bond contribute to ion dissociation?

When an O-H bond is in a polar molecule, such as water, it can easily break apart into ions. The oxygen atom has a partial negative charge, while the hydrogen atom has a partial positive charge. This allows the bond to easily dissociate into H+ and OH- ions, contributing to the overall dissociation of the molecule into ions.

3. What factors affect the strength of an O-H bond?

The strength of an O-H bond is affected by the difference in electronegativity between the oxygen and hydrogen atoms, with a larger difference resulting in a stronger bond. The distance between the two atoms also plays a role, with a shorter bond length resulting in a stronger bond. Additionally, the presence of other nearby atoms or functional groups can also affect the strength of an O-H bond.

4. What is the significance of O-H bonding in biological systems?

O-H bonding is essential in biological systems because it is the basis for many important molecules, such as water and carbohydrates. Water, with its polar O-H bonds, is a universal solvent and is crucial for many biological processes. Carbohydrates, such as glucose, also contain O-H bonds and are important for energy storage and structural support in living organisms.

5. How is O-H bonding different from other types of chemical bonding?

O-H bonding is a type of covalent bonding, where electrons are shared between atoms. This differs from ionic bonding, where electrons are transferred from one atom to another, and metallic bonding, where electrons are delocalized and shared among all atoms in a metal. O-H bonding also has a higher degree of polarity compared to other covalent bonds, due to the difference in electronegativity between oxygen and hydrogen atoms.