NYT article about the speed of shadow > c

In summary, the article is discussing how a shadow projected by a spinning object will be moving faster than the object itself.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The thought experiment is to glue a "bat" figure on a light source (e.g., lamp). The shadow created by the bat figure is projected into the void, as in Batman. The trick is to rotate the lamp. As the lamp rotates, so does the bat shadow, projected into the space. The trajectory of the shadow is a great circle with the lamp at its center. (Actually, the "circle" itself will be expanding at the speed of light, but the author ignores this aspect, as far as I can tell.)

At a sufficiently large distance from the lamp, the circumference of the circle will have expanded to such a great length that the shadow will be rotating at a speed exceeding the speed of light. At least, that's what I understand the article to be saying. The author does not explain (nor do I remember) the formula tying the speed of the shadow to that of the lamp, but the principle must be similar to the concept of "gear ratio."

The author then goes on to explain how that does not violate relativity.

Comments?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take a laser pointer and sweep it across the sky from the northern horizon to the southern horizon, the "point" of your laser beam is also moving much faster than c.

This, of course, has nothing to do with relativity, since neither of these phenomena involve the actual motion of any objects. Also, you cannot use either of these phenomena to transmit information. They do not contradict relativity.

- Warren

Last edited:
Similarly, if you stand up and spin around quickly one time, then in a reference frame fixed to your body the moon travels around you at a velocity exceeding c.

chroot said:
If you take a laser pointer and sweep it across the sky from the northern horizon to the southern horizon, the "point" of your laser beam is also moving much faster than c.

I don't quite understand the mechanics here. If the "point" moves from point A to point B at a faster-than-light speed, how does that not imply that a photon which traveled from the source to point B was traveling faster than light?

Picture 1: point A has light, point B is dark.
Picture 2: point A is dark, point B has light.
It took 0.000...0001 seconds to get from picture 1 to picture 2 (implying point speed > c).
What "shines" at point B is a photon that was emitted during the "split second" between the two pictures.
Doesn't that imply that this photon traveled faster than light?

I guess it doesn't, because arc length > radius.

I might have just answered my question, but if you have a comment please go ahead and post it.

Last edited:
EnumaElish said:
Doesn't that imply that this photon traveled faster than light?
It does not.
The photons arriving at A and B come from the laser pointer, they do not travel from A to B.

MeJennifer said:
It does not.
The photons arriving at A and B come from the laser pointer, they do not travel from A to B.
They only travel from the source to point B (the radius), which is less than the distance from A to B (the arc). Is this reasoning correct?

olgranpappy said:
Similarly, if you stand up and spin around quickly one time, then in a reference frame fixed to your body the moon travels around you at a velocity exceeding c.
This doesn't violate relativity because a reference frame is not a "thing." Is that correct?

EnumaElish said:
This doesn't violate relativity because a reference frame is not a "thing." Is that correct?
Well... what's a thing? :-p
...Maybe someone else can field this one since I am at work.

olgranpappy said:
Well... what's a thing? :-p
...Maybe someone else can field this one since I am at work.
I meant a physical object.

The photon that travels from the source to point A is not the same photon that travels from the source to point B--since the laser beam is a stream of a bunch of different photons, there is no actual physical object that is traveling faster than c.

It's the same in the NYT article--the photons tracing out the edge of the bat's shadow are a bunch of different photons, so there is no real object moving faster than c.

I think olgranpappy's example about spinning around can be explained by the fact that a spinning reference frame is not an inertial reference frame, but that's a little different to what the article is talking about.

Last edited:

Related to NYT article about the speed of shadow > c

1. How is it possible for a shadow to move faster than the speed of light?

According to the article, this phenomenon occurs due to the way light behaves when it interacts with objects. The speed of light in a vacuum is constant at 299,792,458 meters per second, however, when light encounters an object, it slows down. This means that the shadow created by an object can appear to move faster than the speed of light.

2. Are there any practical implications of this discovery?

While this discovery challenges our understanding of the speed of light, there are no known practical implications at this time. The speed of light is still the fastest speed at which anything can travel, and this discovery does not change that.

3. Does this mean that information can be transmitted faster than the speed of light?

No, the speed of light still remains the ultimate speed limit in the universe. This discovery does not change the fact that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, including information.

4. Can this phenomenon be observed in everyday life?

Unfortunately, this phenomenon occurs at such a small scale that it cannot be observed in everyday life. It requires extremely precise measurements and specialized equipment to detect the slight differences in the speed of light.

5. How does this discovery impact our understanding of the laws of physics?

This discovery does not necessarily challenge the laws of physics, but it does expand our knowledge and understanding of light and how it behaves. It also raises questions about what other exceptions or anomalies may exist in the universe that we have yet to discover.