NVT/NPT Monte Carlo Simulation - Thermodynamics Explained

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of the Metropolis algorithm in a MC simulation of a solid using NVT and NPT ensembles. The Boltzmann factor is discussed in relation to potential energy and the concept of work and heat. There is a discrepancy in the expected form of the Boltzmann factor for NPT ensemble, with an extra term of TdS being introduced. The reason for this extra term is still unclear.
pyscho
Hello,

I am working on a MC simulation of a solid using NVT ensemble with Metropolis algorithm. The botlzman factor is of the form exp(-βΔU(r1,r2...rN)), where U is just the potential energy.

From thermodyanmics, dU=dq+dw (dq is the amount of heat put in, and dw is the amount of work done on the system). Since there is no work done (constant volume). dU=dq. Therefore this factor makes sense to me.

Now what I would like to do is let the volume change under constant pressure and temperature. That requires NPT ensemble. Again from thermodynamics du=dq+dw, but since volume is changing, dU=dq-pdV=dq-d(pV), thus d(U+pV)=dq. That's the enthalpy. What I would expect the boltzman factor to be is exp(-β(ΔU+pΔV)). Am I thinking wrong? However, I found it to be in the form exp(-β(ΔU+pΔV-NkTln(V'/V)) where V'=V+ΔV. Where does this extra term come from!?

Thank you very much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
pyscho said:
Hello,

I am working on a MC simulation of a solid using NVT ensemble with Metropolis algorithm. The botlzman factor is of the form exp(-βΔU(r1,r2...rN)), where U is just the potential energy.

From thermodyanmics, dU=dq+dw (dq is the amount of heat put in, and dw is the amount of work done on the system). Since there is no work done (constant volume). dU=dq. Therefore this factor makes sense to me.

Now what I would like to do is let the volume change under constant pressure and temperature. That requires NPT ensemble. Again from thermodynamics du=dq+dw, but since volume is changing, dU=dq-pdV=dq-d(pV), thus d(U+pV)=dq. That's the enthalpy. What I would expect the boltzman factor to be is exp(-β(ΔU+pΔV)). Am I thinking wrong? However, I found it to be in the form exp(-β(ΔU+pΔV-NkTln(V'/V)) where V'=V+ΔV. Where does this extra term come from!?

Thank you very much for your help.

I think,in this case dU has been take into two parts:
1.ΔU;that is an internal interaction change of energy,and
2.PdV-TdS;that the exra term which u see is TdS=nkTln(V'/V)
maybe!?

Related to NVT/NPT Monte Carlo Simulation - Thermodynamics Explained

1. What is NVT/NPT Monte Carlo Simulation?

NVT/NPT Monte Carlo Simulation is a computational technique used in thermodynamics to simulate the behavior of a system at constant temperature and volume (NVT) or constant temperature, pressure, and number of particles (NPT). It involves randomly sampling from a distribution of possible configurations of the system to calculate thermodynamic properties.

2. How does NVT/NPT Monte Carlo Simulation work?

NVT/NPT Monte Carlo Simulation works by randomly changing the positions and velocities of particles in a system and calculating the resulting change in energy. This is repeated many times, with the system eventually reaching a state of equilibrium where the energy is minimized. From this, thermodynamic properties can be calculated.

3. What are the benefits of using NVT/NPT Monte Carlo Simulation in thermodynamics?

NVT/NPT Monte Carlo Simulation allows for the study of complex systems that cannot be easily studied using traditional experimental methods. It also allows for the investigation of systems at extreme temperatures and pressures that may not be feasible in a laboratory setting.

4. What are some applications of NVT/NPT Monte Carlo Simulation?

NVT/NPT Monte Carlo Simulation is commonly used in the study of phase transitions, such as the melting and freezing of solids, as well as in the study of fluids, including gases and liquids. It is also used in the design of materials and in drug discovery and development.

5. Are there any limitations to NVT/NPT Monte Carlo Simulation?

While NVT/NPT Monte Carlo Simulation is a powerful tool in thermodynamics, it is not without its limitations. It relies on simplifying assumptions and may not accurately capture all aspects of a real system. It also requires significant computational resources and can be time-consuming. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the input parameters and the chosen simulation method.