Nutritional value of ready-made meals

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary: I typed in TV dinner at amazon. The results took me back to my childhood. Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes, Hungry Man meatloaf, Velveeta cheese bowls. All basically forms of dog food. Even the Tasty Bite Indian meals are like cheap canned food. I guess I am a snob. Only so many meals in a lifetime...
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
Practice, dear boy, Practice.
You know, @JT Smith may not have eaten any of these TV dinners recently. True that in their beginnings, these dinners were cardboard-like, but technology has advanced enough that some of them are, IMO, pretty amazing, albeit me not being a gourmet by many reasonable standards.

Likes sophiecentaur
WWGD said:
You know, @JT Smith may not have eaten any of these TV dinners recently. True that in their beginnings, these dinners were cardboard-like, but technology has advanced enough that some of them are, IMO, pretty amazing, albeit me not being a gourmet by many reasonable standards.
There is a significant amount of 'hair shirt' involved about convenience meals. Likewise about dishwashers too.
Home made gives bigger helpings too!

Edit: Who remembers those truly vile Vesta freeze dried Curries from the 70s?

sophiecentaur said:
There is a significant amount of 'hair shirt' involved about convenience meals. Likewise about dishwashers too.
Home made gives bigger helpings too!
Hair shirt? Sorry, I am not hip to your kids' new slang.
Re portions, you are right, but this is a double-edged sword, as when food is too easily available ( like, having it at home) one may eat way more than necessary ( even when allowing for some over-eating). I was drinking almost a full bottle of soda at one point , had it next to my chair. Amazingly, I cut down by serving myself and then storing the bottle a measly 20 feet away from me. The cost of breaking my comfort by getting up, walking 20 ft and back somehow dissuaded me often-enough from refilling my cup.

I was shooting for humor mostly. While I'm not a stranger to convenience food it's true I haven't eaten anything called a "TV Dinner" in a long, long time. Is anything actually labeled that anymore? I'd be curious to see a link or two to TV dinners that you think are worth eating.

As for the amount of time I usually just cook things until they're done. Is it not possible to test one for doneness?

JT Smith said:
I was shooting for humor mostly. While I'm not a stranger to convenience food it's true I haven't eaten anything called a "TV Dinner" in a long, long time. Is anything actually labeled that anymore? I'd be curious to see a link or two to TV dinners that you think are worth eating.

As for the amount of time I usually just cook things until they're done. Is it not possible to test one for doneness?

Nowadays that would be a Netflix dinner ;-)

Likes Klystron
jedishrfu said:
Nowadays that would be a Netflix dinner ;-)
What would a YouTube dinner be like, if anything?

WWGD said:
What would a YouTube dinner be like, if anything?

Mostly popcorn.

ZZ Top said:
I even like the chicken if the sauce is not too blue...

Likes WWGD
But then you need to cook it...Under Pressure. Haha.

Likes gmax137
I typed in TV dinner at amazon. The results took me back to my childhood. Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes, Hungry Man meatloaf, Velveeta cheese bowls. All basically forms of dog food. Even the Tasty Bite Indian meals are like cheap canned food. I guess I am a snob. Only so many meals in a lifetime...

JT Smith said:
I Only so many meals in a lifetime...

And so many minutes to be spent: cooking or doing otherwise. Still, have you actually tasted them? It is not new types of food but new ways of preparing, freezing, etc. But, ultimately up to you.

WWGD said:
Still, have you actually tasted them? It is not new types of food but new ways of preparing, freezing, etc. But, ultimately up to you.

I've tasted those that I listed above. Of course it's possible that Hungry Man meatloaf frozen dinner has improved in recent decades, to that I cannot attest. But I doubt it. It's certainly possible to have higher quality frozen dinners. I'm just not aware of which ones those are. Maybe you can point one or two out?

As for the time required, it's a fallacy that food quality and food preparation time are correlated. Shopping time may increase though.

JT Smith said:
Maybe you can point one or two out?

upload_2019-2-25_13-43-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-25_13-43-38.png
    upload_2019-2-25_13-43-38.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 408
That doesn't look too bad. I wonder what it tastes like?

It's not really a dinner though.

JT Smith said:
It's not really a dinner though.
Why not? I eat that kind of stuff often for dinners (whether from a pre-made meal or I make it from scratch)...

berkeman said:
Why not? I eat that kind of stuff often for dinners (whether from a pre-made meal or I make it from scratch)...

190 Cal is less than 10% of an average adult male's caloric needs. If that's "dinner" then you're either on a very restrictive diet, you're a tiny person, or you eat most of your calories at breakfast and lunch. A more typical dinner would include some sort of grain perhaps (rice, pasta) and be on the order of 600-700 Cal, at least. So what you've got there is a side dish. Or a snack. It's not a dinner.

JT Smith said:
As for the time required, it's a fallacy that food quality and food preparation time are correlated. Shopping time may increase though.

I meant one will spend less time/effort cooking by putting a dinner in the oven, leaving it there and picking it up when ready than by cooking it from scratch.

JT Smith said:
or you eat most of your calories at breakfast and lunch.
This. :smile:

Likes WWGD
berkeman said:
This. :smile:
But tricky to time eating so that you're not desperately hungry by 9-10 p.m. Or then having the discipline to eat something reasonable to calm down hunger.

Likes russ_watters
WWGD said:
so that you're not desperately hungry by 9-10 p.m.
LOL, I get up at 0500 to get ready for work. I don't get hungry late at night. You kids! :smile:

Likes WWGD
berkeman said:
LOL, I get up at 0500 to get ready for work. I don't get hungry late at night. You kids! :smile:
One interesting thing I've found over the years as my diet has shifted: you can get used to pretty much any dietary schedule. I used to crave breakfast. After skipping many breakfasts due to various constraints, I've gotten used to skipping breakfast entirely and usually don't get hungry until around noon. But I'll often eat twice as much during lunch as my colleagues.

Also, all the complaints about one meal being better than another are bull. There's no science behind them. Do what fits in your schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes russ_watters
JT Smith said:
The best bet is to not eat TV dinners in the first place.
This is a really, really common view. But I really doubt there's anything behind it. It seems to come from more of a knee-jerk judgment.

The main complaint I see levied against pre-made meals seems to be salt content. But there really isn't any relationship between high salt intake and bad health outcomes (see here for a recent meta-analysis showing this), though there are huge health risks associated with getting too little salt.

You might have to be careful about missing certain important nutrients. Fiber is a big one that most of these meals lack. But I seriously doubt that you're causing any harm to yourself by eating these meals, as so many in society seem to believe.

While one could debate the nutritional merits of frozen dinners it's not the reason that I avoid them.

This isn't really about physics anymore. If this were a carefully moderated forum and I were a moderator I'd lock this thread.

JT Smith said:
While one could debate the nutritional merits of frozen dinners it's not the reason that I avoid them.

This isn't really about physics anymore. If this were a carefully moderated forum and I were a moderator I'd lock this thread.
Either way, I would definitely suggest not telling people to avoid them. Food preferences can be a hot-button issue for a wide variety of reasons, and it's really best to let it be most of the time, even if intended in a joking manner. Especially online where you really don't know the person's relationship with food, and especially where it is less obvious whether or not you are being serious.

I mostly find the nutrition aspect interesting because so much of what society thinks about nutrition is baseless.

Likes russ_watters

Related to Nutritional value of ready-made meals

What is the definition of "ready-made meals"?

Ready-made meals are pre-packaged meals that have been cooked and prepared for convenience and quick consumption. They can be found in grocery stores, restaurants, and delivered to homes.

How do ready-made meals compare to homemade meals in terms of nutritional value?

Ready-made meals often contain higher amounts of sodium, preservatives, and added sugars compared to homemade meals. However, some ready-made meals can be nutritionally balanced and provide a convenient option for busy individuals.

What are some common nutrients found in ready-made meals?

Ready-made meals can contain a variety of nutrients depending on the type of meal. Common nutrients found in ready-made meals include protein, carbohydrates, fats, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. However, the exact amounts and types of nutrients can vary greatly between different brands and meals.

Are there any benefits to consuming ready-made meals?

Ready-made meals can provide a convenient and time-saving option for individuals with busy schedules. They can also be a good source of nutrients for those who are unable to prepare homemade meals due to physical limitations or lack of cooking skills.

What are some potential drawbacks of relying on ready-made meals for nutrition?

Some ready-made meals may lack variety and may not provide all the necessary nutrients for a balanced diet. They also tend to be more expensive compared to cooking meals at home. Additionally, some ready-made meals may contain high levels of sodium, added sugars, and unhealthy fats, which can contribute to health problems when consumed regularly.