Nutating disk engine perspectives

In summary, there is information about the development of a nutating disk engine with higher power density and low friction design. However, there are doubts about its efficiency and other types of engines are being considered, such as rotary pulse jet and rocket engines. The diesel engine is still seen as the best design due to its simplicity and effectiveness.
Stanley514
Recently there was information that military is developing a nutating disk engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutating_disc_engine"
which, as they hope, will have higher power density, than reciprocating engine.Also some people say,that this is low friction design.
Does anyone know what is pro and contra of this engine type and if it really does have low friction,could it be made of carbon fiber or ceramics,to work with no cooling and have greater efficiency?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I've seen this before. Personally I think the design is crap, there's no way it has "low friction" and the compression ratio sucks. Everyone makes stuff up about their design, like "more efficient, lighter, low friction" etc. Most of the time its garbage.

Do you know something about other types of engines which could be better than reciprocating?Especially those which have few moving parts and low friction?
As I see, one of main problems of reciprocating engine is unability to make it from ceramics or other heat resistant materials which are presently available.
What do you think about rotary pulse jet or rocket engine similar to this design?
http://conceptengine.tripod.com/conceptengine/id2.html"
Rocket engines have high efficiency,up to 70%.If we will enforce it to rotate around an
axle at optimal RPMs and produce electricity,will it be more efficient than gas turbine?
Or such design is nowhere close to reality?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the rotary pulse jet and its garbage. The efficiency on those is horrific. There are also about 30 rotary engines out there, most of them are also garbage.

I've seen probably 100+ unique designs of engines, both rotary and reciprocating. Most of them are trash, only a handful impressed me. For me the best design is the diesel and perhaps the two stroke diesel. Its probably the simplest design, everything else has problems with sealing/compression/friction, etc.

The truth is, there is no better way to get a volume change than a piston, its the easiest to seal and its linear and the friction only comes from piston rings which is low. Anything else will screw it up.

Related to Nutating disk engine perspectives

1. What is a nutating disk engine?

A nutating disk engine is a type of internal combustion engine that uses a rotating disk instead of reciprocating pistons to convert fuel into mechanical energy. The disk is shaped like a kidney or crescent and is mounted on a central shaft. As the disk rotates, it creates a chamber between itself and the engine block, which expands and contracts to produce power.

2. How does a nutating disk engine work?

In a nutating disk engine, fuel is injected into the chamber created by the rotating disk and engine block. As the disk rotates, the chamber expands, compressing the fuel and air mixture. This compressed mixture is then ignited by a spark plug, causing a controlled explosion that drives the disk and generates power. The exhaust gases are then expelled through an exhaust port.

3. What are the advantages of a nutating disk engine?

Some advantages of a nutating disk engine include its compact size, high power-to-weight ratio, and low vibration levels. It also has fewer moving parts compared to traditional piston engines, which can lead to lower maintenance and repair costs. Additionally, the nutating disk design allows for more efficient combustion, resulting in better fuel efficiency and lower emissions.

4. What are the potential applications of nutating disk engines?

Nutating disk engines have been primarily used in small applications such as model airplanes and lawnmowers. However, they have the potential to be used in larger applications such as automobiles and generators. The compact size and high power-to-weight ratio make them ideal for use in electric and hybrid vehicles, as well as in portable power generators.

5. What are the current challenges facing nutating disk engine technology?

One of the main challenges for nutating disk engines is achieving high efficiency at high speeds. Currently, these engines are limited to relatively low operating speeds, which can limit their potential in larger applications. The design of the engine also presents challenges in terms of sealing and lubrication, which can affect its reliability and longevity. However, ongoing research and development in this area may help to overcome these challenges in the future.