Numerical value of complex number

In summary, the modulus of a complex number can be found by finding the square root of the sum of the squares of its real and imaginary parts. This is shown by the equation \sqrt{a^2+b^2}=\sqrt{(a+bi)(a-bi)}. The modulus squared, |z|^2, is equal to z times its complex conjugate, \overline{z}, and is not the same as squaring the complex number. The modulus of a complex number is always positive, and the sign of the imaginary part can be ignored when finding the modulus.
tomwilliam

Homework Statement

I need to understand why
[tex]\left|4+i \right|=4.123[/tex]

and why this is shown by:

[tex]\sqrt{4^{2}+1^{2}}=4.123[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]i^{2}=-1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I find the square root of this expression squared, then I come up with
[tex]\sqrt{16-1+8i}[/tex] which is wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at an argand diagram, the modulus or |z| of a complex number is the distance from the origin to the complex number. So it's quite simply pythagoras' theorem applied to the problem.

hi tomwilliam! :smile:

the modulus squared, |a + bi|2 is the square of a real number …

it is not the square of any complex number …

|a + bi|2 = (a + bi)(a - bi) :wink:

Thanks. So if I think of the numbers (4, 0) and (0, i) as position vectors on the Argand diagram, where the x-axis is the real number scale and the y-axis is the imaginary number scale, and accept that the modulus is equal to the magnitude of the resultant vector, this means I can ignore the sign of the imaginary part?
Tiny-tim...does the formula you state hold for the modulus squared of any complex number? I would have imagined it was (a+bi)(a+bi)...

hi tomwilliam! :wink:
tomwilliam said:
… this means I can ignore the sign of the imaginary part?

yes … i2 and (-i)2 are the same :smile:
Tiny-tim...does the formula you state hold for the modulus squared of any complex number? I would have imagined it was (a+bi)(a+bi)...

erm :redface:

my formula is right, your formula is wrong :biggrin:

Ok, thanks for your help.

Squaring is not the same as finding the modulus of a complex number.

For any complex number z=a+ib where a and b are real numbers, the modulus is [tex]|z|=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex] which is obviously always positive since a real number squared is positive, thus a2>0, b2>0 then a2+b2>0, and taking the square root is positive. And this makes sense because we can only have a positive length of a vector.
So yes you can ignore the sign on an imaginary number. [tex]|a+ib|=|-a+ib|=|a-ib|=|-a-ib|[/tex].

[tex]z^2=a^2+b^2+2abi[/tex] which itself is also a complex number, unless a or b are 0.

The modulus of a+ bi is [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2}= \sqrt{(a+ bi)(a- bi)}[/itex].

More generally, the modulus of the complex number, z, is NOT [itex]\sqrt{z^2}[/itex] because [itex]z^2[/itex] is not, in general, a positive real number. It is, rather, [itex]\sqrt{z\overline{z}}[/itex].

Related to Numerical value of complex number

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real and an imaginary component. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part, b is the imaginary part, and i is the square root of -1.

What is the numerical value of a complex number?

The numerical value of a complex number is its distance from the origin on the complex plane. It is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem: |a + bi| = √(a^2 + b^2).

How do you find the numerical value of a complex number?

To find the numerical value of a complex number, you can use the Pythagorean theorem or the absolute value formula. This will give you the magnitude or distance from the origin on the complex plane.

What is the difference between the real and imaginary parts of a complex number?

The real part of a complex number represents the horizontal component on the complex plane, while the imaginary part represents the vertical component. Together, they form a vector that points to the complex number's location on the plane.

Can a complex number have a negative numerical value?

Yes, a complex number can have a negative numerical value if its real and imaginary parts are both negative. It can also have a negative numerical value if it is in the third or fourth quadrant of the complex plane.