Traking Pre Cal over the summer?

• Thread starter Euphoriet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about taking pre-calculus or calculus over the summer and the potential impact on future academic performance. Some members suggest talking to a counselor or teacher for advice, while others share their own experiences with taking these classes. The conversation also touches on the differences in pre-calculus courses between schools and the idea of taking trigonometry alongside pre-calculus. There is also a mention of the availability of these classes during the summer and the recommendation to take college algebra before attempting calculus.
Euphoriet
Has anyone here taken pre cal or calculus over the summer?

I am planning on taking pre cal over the summer so I can go into cal next year...

I don't need to do this... and the problem with doing it.. is that since the summer course would not really follow the "honors" path.. I don't know if that may affect me in the future... (next year) when I take caculus .

If I take the class at the city college... it will be like a year worth of worked all in 2 months... but when I go back to school will I be able to handle calculus...

Thanks

EDIT:

I am also wondering what classes some of you are taking.. or took when you were school. I knwo they will probably be over my head but I am still curious to know. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is more of a school specific thing. I moved a year ago and had to change schools. The difference between the two pre-calc courses couldn't have been any more differen't. At my old school the course was a stepping stone to calc, but in my new school it was an alternative for seniors to calc. Your best bet is to talk to your guidence counselor about it.

Sorry I didnt quite get your comparison between the two classes.. can you explain it to me in a different way, thanks.

I get that they were very different... thanks.

I was just trying to show that there can be a big difference between what a pre-calc class is in one area and what it is in another. At my old school the pre-calc class was the class you took before you took calc. In my new school the class is for seniors who can't handle calc. So it can very drastically from school to school.

I am also wondering what classes some of you are taking.. or took when you were school. I knwo they will probably be over my head but I am still curious to know.

And I am thinking about taking TRIG right along with pre calc

Last edited:
well...since I was uninformed about my new school's pre-calc class I took that. In hindsight it was a bad decision since I am bored out of my mind in that class. I'm still a junior so I can't give you any age old advice. I'd say take the trig class first, not with the pre-calc class. There is just too much trig you need to know to take pre-calc. Thats my advice, but like I said, talk to your guidence counselor. His/her entire job is to help you make these kinds of decisions. Hope I was of some help

One of the reason I am posting here is because my counselor is not really available right now =-/

Go talk to the pre-calc math teacher then.

I suggest you not take p-cal/trig during the summer unless you are a math wiz. Summer courses only give a brief account of whatever book they are using. The teachers don't explain as much and you will not absorb most of the stuff learned during this short period of 5 weeks?. If you think you are up to taking Calculus next year (in high school?), then take it. If you are really planning to take p-cal during the summer, consider College Algebra (it is the basics of trig). Good lUcK!

here, Calc is a university class offered in high school, there is no such thing as pre-calc

1. What is "Traking Pre Cal"?

"Traking Pre Cal" refers to tracking or keeping up with the topics and concepts covered in a Pre-Calculus course over the summer break.

2. Why would someone track Pre-Calculus over the summer?

Tracking Pre-Calculus over the summer can help students stay on top of their math skills and be better prepared for the next level of math courses. It can also help students avoid forgetting important concepts during a long break.

3. Do I have to track Pre-Calculus over the summer?

Tracking Pre-Calculus over the summer is not mandatory, but it can be beneficial for students who want to maintain their math skills and be better prepared for the next school year.

4. How can I track Pre-Calculus over the summer?

There are various ways to track Pre-Calculus over the summer, such as studying from a textbook or online resources, attending a summer school or tutoring program, or practicing with math problems and exercises on a regular basis.

5. Is tracking Pre-Calculus over the summer difficult?

Tracking Pre-Calculus over the summer can be challenging, as it requires consistent practice and dedication. However, with proper time management and study techniques, it can be manageable and beneficial for students.