Numerical method to solve a fourth order ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an ODE using DSolve in Matlab and finding a numerical solution. It is suggested to replace the derivative notation with the operator D and factor the characteristic polynomial to solve the equation.
rsluijs
I've got the following ODE:

K*w''''+c*w = q

I can solve this with DSolve (from Matlab), but how can I solve this in a numerical way?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

rsluijs said:
I've got the following ODE:

K*w''''+c*w = q

I can solve this with DSolve (from Matlab), but how can I solve this in a numerical way?

Thanks!

Hi rsluijs! Welcome to PF! :smile:

To solve K*w''''+c*w = 0, you can replace ' by the operator D, giving the "characteristic polynomial" (KD4 + C)w = 0,

and you factor that to (D + a)(D + b)(D + c)(D + d)w = 0,

and then solve each individual (D + a)w = 0 etc, and add linear combinations of those solutions. :wink:

Related to Numerical method to solve a fourth order ODE

1. What is a fourth order ODE?

A fourth order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves the derivatives of a function up to the fourth order, with respect to a single independent variable.

2. Why is a numerical method necessary to solve a fourth order ODE?

Unlike first or second order ODEs, there is no general analytical solution for fourth order ODEs. Therefore, a numerical method is needed to approximate the solution.

3. What is the most commonly used numerical method to solve a fourth order ODE?

The most commonly used numerical method for solving fourth order ODEs is the Runge-Kutta method, specifically the fourth-order Runge-Kutta method. This method involves approximating the solution at each step using a weighted average of four different slopes.

4. How does a numerical method work to solve a fourth order ODE?

A numerical method for solving a fourth order ODE involves dividing the independent variable into small intervals and using a recursive process to approximate the solution at each interval. This process typically involves using the derivative of the function at each point to approximate the value of the function at the next point.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a numerical method for solving fourth order ODEs?

Yes, there are limitations to using a numerical method for solving fourth order ODEs. These methods can be computationally expensive and may not always provide an accurate solution depending on the step size chosen. Additionally, some methods may not be stable for certain types of ODEs, leading to inaccurate results.