Numerical double integrals along discontinuous surfaces

In summary, the conversation discussed the computation of bending-torsion coupling constants for a wing and the use of numerical methods to evaluate the integral involved. The questioner also mentioned the use of z values from a series of points and their interpolation before applying the numerical methods.
zmall88
I posted this in the aerospace engineering forum but I think it may get more replies here:

I've been trying to compute the bending-torsion coupling constants for a wing, B1, B2 and B3. The expression for this is

[itex]
\begin{bmatrix} B_1 \\ B_2 \\ B_3 \end{bmatrix} = \iint (y^2 + z^2)\begin{bmatrix} y^2 + z^2 \\ z \\ y \end{bmatrix}dydyz
[/itex]

where x is in along the wingspan direction, y is along chordwise direction and z is perp. to both.

Question is: how to evaluate this integral?

I have z as a series of points (airfoil shape), where at every y, there are two z values (upper and lower surfaces).

I'm not sure this is in the correct forum or not...

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question here. I am a scientist with expertise in aerospace engineering and I would be happy to help you with your computation.

To evaluate the integral for the bending-torsion coupling constants, you will need to use numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve breaking up the integral into smaller intervals and approximating the function within each interval using a polynomial. The results from each interval are then combined to give an overall approximation of the integral.

In your case, since z is a series of points, you will need to first interpolate the points to obtain a continuous function for z. Then, you can use the numerical methods to evaluate the integral for each interval along the y-axis and then combine the results to obtain the final values for B1, B2, and B3.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Best of luck with your computation!

Related to Numerical double integrals along discontinuous surfaces

1. What is a numerical double integral?

A numerical double integral is a method used to calculate the area under a 3-dimensional surface. It involves dividing the surface into smaller sections and calculating the area of each section, then summing them up to get an approximation of the total area.

2. What is a discontinuous surface?

A discontinuous surface is a surface that is not smooth and continuous. This means that there are breaks or gaps in the surface, making it difficult to calculate the area using traditional methods.

3. Why is it difficult to calculate numerical double integrals along discontinuous surfaces?

It is difficult to calculate numerical double integrals along discontinuous surfaces because the surface is not smooth and continuous, making it challenging to divide into smaller sections and accurately calculate the area of each section.

4. What are some methods for calculating numerical double integrals along discontinuous surfaces?

Some methods for calculating numerical double integrals along discontinuous surfaces include using Monte Carlo simulations, adaptive quadrature methods, and partitioning the surface into smaller sections and using traditional methods on each section.

5. What are the applications of numerical double integrals along discontinuous surfaces?

Numerical double integrals along discontinuous surfaces have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities in complex 3-dimensional systems and models.