How Do You Plot Complex Numbers on a Plane?

In summary, to graph complex numbers on a complex plane, plot the real part on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis, labeling the axes as Re(z) and Im(z) respectively. Remember that the x-axis corresponds to the real numbers and the y-axis corresponds to the imaginary numbers.
tg22542

Homework Statement

Graph the following numbers on a complex plane.

A) 3-2i
B)-4
C)-2+i
D)-3i
D)-1-4i

Can smomeone help me how to get started on this question? I'm not sure what it wants me to do

Physics news on Phys.org
First, find out what the complex plane looks like. (Hint: it looks just like a regular plane, except the y values are -4i, -3i, ..., 3i, 4i.

Plot A) thru B) from the OP and label the points.

Your work with complex numbers will get MUCH harder from this point.

Do you know how to plot (3, -2) on a graph?

So use an xaxis of -4i to 4i and a y-axis of -1 to 3 then simply plot them?

tg22542 said:

Homework Statement

A) 3-2i
B)-4
C)-2+i
D)-3i
D)-1-4i

Can smomeone help me how to get started on this question? I'm not sure what it wants me to do

The instructions are pretty clear to me -
Have you looked in your book? It should have several examples of graphing complex numbers.

tg22542 said:
So use an xaxis of -4i to 4i and a y-axis of -1 to 3 then simply plot them?

No, you have your axes the wrong way around. The x-axis corresponds to the real numbers, and the y-axis to the imaginary numbers. To plot a number [itex]z = a+ib[/itex], you plot (a,b) and you label your real axis (x-axis) as Re(z) and your imaginary axis as Im(z).

Also note that [itex]a = a+i0[/itex] and [itex]ib=0+ib[/itex]

Related to How Do You Plot Complex Numbers on a Plane?

1. What is a complex plane?

A complex plane is a mathematical representation of complex numbers. It is a two-dimensional graph where the x-axis represents the real part of a complex number and the y-axis represents the imaginary part. It allows us to visualize and perform operations on complex numbers.

2. How are numbers represented on a complex plane?

Numbers on a complex plane are represented by a point, where the x-coordinate represents the real part and the y-coordinate represents the imaginary part. The origin (0,0) represents the number 0, and moving right on the x-axis represents positive real numbers, while moving left represents negative real numbers. Moving up on the y-axis represents positive imaginary numbers, while moving down represents negative imaginary numbers.

3. What is the modulus of a complex number on a complex plane?

The modulus of a complex number is the distance from the origin to the point representing that number on the complex plane. It is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the real and imaginary parts of the number are the legs of a right triangle and the modulus is the hypotenuse.

4. How do you add and subtract numbers on a complex plane?

To add or subtract complex numbers on a complex plane, we simply add or subtract the corresponding real and imaginary parts. This can be visualized by moving the points representing the numbers on the complex plane.

5. Can you multiply and divide complex numbers on a complex plane?

Yes, we can multiply and divide complex numbers on a complex plane using the same rules as we do for real numbers. To multiply, we multiply the moduli and add the arguments (angles) of the numbers. To divide, we divide the moduli and subtract the arguments. This can also be visualized on the complex plane by finding the new point representing the result of the operation.