How many people know hex if only you and dead people know hex?

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
In summary: I will post more about my findings when I get back. In summary, there are developments happening in quantum gravity that are worth researching, and you may find useful information from a summer school in the UK.
Tom McCurdy

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom McCurdy said:

57006, in decimal notation,
or DEAE, in hex

that is a good riddle, Tom McCurdy
please ask another!
BTW there are other developments besides string
happening in quantum gravity, maybe your
summerschool in the UK will introduce you to those as well
there is a quantum gravity conference in London at
Imperial College on Sept 6 and 7

a 5 literd bottle, a 7 litered bottle and a tank, how can i get 4 lits of water in the end if I start by pouring water from the tank into the 5 liter bottle first ?

Last edited:
5 literd bottle, a 7 litered bottle and a tank, how can i get 4 lits of water in the end if I start by pouring water from the tank into the 5 liter bottle first ?

1) Pour the 5 L into the 7 L bottle.
2) Fill the 4 L.
3) Pour the 4 L into the 7 L (with 2 L left in the 4 L).
4) Pour the remaining 2 L in the 4 L bottle into the tank.

5) Empty the two bottles and repeat from step 1 to get the last 2 L.

? :sm: ?
I am sorry, I think I made mistake, I didn't clearify what I meant...
I have only 2 empty bottles, one 5, one 7 and a tank/water container.
I will go fill 5 L bottle first, and I am only allowed to use 3 of them to finally getting 4 L of water. How will I go ? :sm:

By the way, your avatar is really kewl, I would also like to have one for myself..:sm:

Assuming that the tank is empty and that is where you want the 4l. pour the 5l into the 7l, fill up the 7l, use the 7 to fill the 5, pour 2l into tank. Empty the 5 into the 7, fill the 7, fill the 5, pour 2l into the tank, which now has 4l.

But what if I am only allowed to used 5 or 7 as a place to store 4 lits ? How can i make it then ?

Pattielli said:
a 5 literd bottle, a 7 litered bottle and a tank, how can i get 4 lits of water in the end if I start by pouring water from the tank into the 5 liter bottle first ?
I assume the tank has an endless supply of water?

1. Fill the 5L bottle (as required)
2. Empty the 5L bottle. :wink:
3. Fill the 7L bottle.
4. Pour 5L of the 7L into the 5L bottle, filling it, leaving 2L in the 7L bottle.
5. Empty the 5L bottle.
6. Pour the 2L in the 7L bottle into the 5L bottle.
7. Fill the 7L bottle.
8. Pour 3L from the 7L bottle into the 5L bottle, filling it, leavint 4L in the 7L bottle.

Done.

:sm: :sm:
I actually can go from 7 but i don't knbow how to go from 5, that's why i made this question...

:sm:
Okay, you now have any riddle ?

If you really want to use the 5L to start, you can do that too.

1. Pour 5L in 7L bottle.
2. Fill 5L bottle again, and pour 2L into 7L bottle to fill it.
3. Empty 7L bottle and pour the remaining 3L into it.
4. Fill 5L bottle and pour 4L into 7L bottle to fill it.
5. Empty 7L bottle and pour the remaining 1L into it.
6. Fill 5L bottle and pour it all into the 7L bottle.
7. Again fill 5L bottle and pour 1L into 7L bottle to fill it.

You now have 4L in the 5L bottle.

This is the same as finding a solution to the congruence problem :
5n==4 (mod 7), and clearly, n = 5 is a solution, meaning that 5 fills of the 5L bottle gets you there.

Yep, that's really kewl, you are really great ! :sm:

marcus said:
that is a good riddle, Tom McCurdy
please ask another!
BTW there are other developments besides string
happening in quantum gravity, maybe your
summerschool in the UK will introduce you to those as well
there is a quantum gravity conference in London at
Imperial College on Sept 6 and 7

thanks for the information, Actually though I won't be attending the school as much as just following a person around for a week, then giving an hour long lecture on the development of the theory of everything in oundle to the yale science society. I am doing as much research as I can on the subject right now and find it quite interesting. I wish I would have been able to attend those conferences.

1. How do you know that dead people know hex?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that dead people know hex. This statement is based on a hypothetical scenario and should not be taken as fact.

2. Can you provide an estimate of the number of people who know hex in this scenario?

Since this scenario is purely hypothetical and there is no way to accurately measure the number of people who know hex, no estimate can be provided.

3. Is it possible for anyone else to know hex in this scenario?

In this scenario, it is stated that only you and dead people know hex. Therefore, no one else can know hex. However, in reality, there may be others who also know hex.

4. How does this scenario relate to real-life situations?

This scenario is purely hypothetical and does not have any direct connection to real-life situations. It is simply a thought experiment to explore the concept of knowledge and its limitations.

5. What is the purpose of this scenario and its question?

The purpose of this scenario is to challenge our understanding of knowledge and its limitations. It prompts us to think critically and question our assumptions about what we know and how we know it.