Number theory and nuclear physics

In summary, there is a book on Amazon called "Number Theory and the Periodicity of Matter" by Jan C.A. Boeyens and Demetrius C. Levendis that relates number theory to quantum and nuclear physics. The conversation also discusses the possibility and areas in which this connection may exist, and the suggestion to read the book for more information.
only_huce
I am currently taking a course in number theory, and I stumbled upon a book on amazon which relates number theory to quantum and nuclear physics...

Is this possible? In what areas and how? As previously mentioned I am taking a course on it so if anyone can give the specific mathematical details of what is exactly used from number theory it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which book?

Number Theory and the Periodicity of Matter

by Jan C.A. Boeyens and Demetrius C. Levendis

Here's the link

This may seem radical, but maybe if you are interested in what the book says, you might read the book.

I took a look at a few excerpts on Amazon, and to make an honest review, I'd have to (like I said) read the book, but it seems more a juxtaposition of the two concepts than explaining one in terms of the other.

Related to Number theory and nuclear physics

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of integers and their relationships with one another. It involves topics such as prime numbers, divisibility, and modular arithmetic.

2. How is number theory related to nuclear physics?

Number theory plays a significant role in nuclear physics as it helps in understanding the atomic structure and behavior of particles. The principles of number theory are used to analyze and predict the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions in nuclear reactions.

3. What are some applications of number theory in nuclear physics?

Number theory is used in nuclear physics to calculate nuclear properties, predict the stability of nuclei, and determine the energy levels of atomic nuclei. It also helps in understanding the symmetry and structure of atomic nuclei.

4. Can number theory be used to explain nuclear reactions?

Yes, number theory can be used to explain and predict nuclear reactions. It helps in understanding the patterns and relationships between particles in a nuclear reaction, which is crucial in developing accurate models and calculations.

5. How does number theory contribute to the advancement of nuclear physics?

Number theory provides a mathematical framework for analyzing and understanding the complex behavior of subatomic particles in nuclear reactions. It allows scientists to make accurate predictions and calculations, leading to advancements in nuclear physics research and technology.