Helmholtz Equation in a Square

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a Helmholtz equation with specific boundary conditions in a rectangle. The eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are found, and the question of whether the eigenfunctions are orthogonal in a two-dimensional sense for a square is raised. The concept of degeneracy is also mentioned. However, it is noted that the problem being discussed may be trivial without a driving wave or source.
urista
I'm solving a Helmholtz equation uxx+uyy+lambda*u=0 in a rectangle: 0<=x<=L, 0<=y<=H with the following boundary conditions:
u(x,0)=u(x,H)=0 and ux(0,y)=ux(L,y)=0

I found the eigenvalues to be:
lambda(nm)=(n Pi/L)^2+(m Pi/H)^2
and the eigenfunctions to be:
u(nm)=Cos(n Pi x/L)*Sin(m Pi y/H)

Now the question I'm stuck on is to show that if L=H (a square) then most eigenvalues have more than one eigenfunction
and, Are any two eigenfunctions of this eigenvalue problem orthogonal in a two-dimensional sense?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenfunctions should be orthogonal, and if properly normalized, orthonormal. If more than one eigenfunction gives the same eigenvalue, there is degeneracy.

if L=H then lambda_(n,m)=lambda_(m,n), that is u_(n,m) and u_(m,n) have the same eigenvalue.

Still not clear

Thank you for the replies, but how do I show the degeneracy? Also, how do I show in the case of a square (L=H) wheather the eigenfunctions are orthogonal or not in a two-dimensional sense?

If the eigenvalues are the same, the system is degenerate. Now, integrate the functions, i.e.

[tex] \int^{H} _{0}\int^{H} _{0} u_{i}(x,y) u_{j}(x,y) dxdy = \delta_{i j} [/tex]

where i,j are the different functions. This should show that the functions are orthogonal, or if correctly normalized, orthonormal.

urista

The problem you are posing is quite trivial and pointless because you seem to have no driving wave or source of any type. Your boundary conditions are all homogenous and so is your equation. This means that your solution is the trivial solution u(x,y)=0. You need to do something to either your boundary condition or the RHS of your Helmholtz equation.

1. What is the Helmholtz Equation in a Square?

The Helmholtz Equation in a Square is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in a square domain. It is used in various fields of physics and engineering, such as acoustics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics.

2. What is the mathematical form of the Helmholtz Equation in a Square?

The mathematical form of the Helmholtz Equation in a Square is:
2u + k2u = 0
where u is the wave function, ∇2 is the Laplace operator, and k is the wavenumber.

3. What are the boundary conditions for the Helmholtz Equation in a Square?

The boundary conditions for the Helmholtz Equation in a Square depend on the specific problem being solved. Typically, the boundary conditions specify the behavior of the wave function at the edges of the square domain, such as fixed (Dirichlet) or free (Neumann) boundaries.

4. How is the Helmholtz Equation in a Square solved?

The Helmholtz Equation in a Square can be solved using various numerical methods, such as finite difference, finite element, or boundary element methods. These methods discretize the domain and approximate the solution by solving a system of linear equations.

5. What are the applications of the Helmholtz Equation in a Square?

The Helmholtz Equation in a Square has various applications in physics and engineering. It is used to model and analyze wave phenomena in different systems, such as sound and vibration in acoustic cavities, electromagnetic fields in waveguides, and fluid flow in pipes. It is also used in image and signal processing, as it can be used to filter out noise from signals.