Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Number of zeros when |z| = 1

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Let $P(z) = z^8 - 5z^3 + z - 2$. We want to find the number of roots of this polynomial inside the unit circle.
Let $f(z) = -5z^3$ (Why is this being chosen?)

Then $|f(z) - P(z)| = |-z^8 - z - 2| < |f(z)| = 5$ (Why was this done?)

Hence f and P have the same number of zeros inside the unit circle (How does this follow from the above?) and this number is 3.

Krizalid

Feb 9, 2012
It's a trick to use Rouché's Theorem, then for $|z|<1$ you can pick "wisely" a term to satisty the conditions.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
It's a trick to use Rouché's Theorem, then for $|z|<1$ you can pick "wisely" a term to satisty the conditions.
I need more of an explanation than it is a trick from Rouche's Theorem.

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
My guess would be that \( |f(z) - P(z)| = |-z^8 -z -2| \leq |z^8| + |z| + |2| = 1+1+2 < |f(z)| = |-5z^3| = 5 \). As for the reasoning of why they have the same number of zeros inside the unit circle I'm still lost as well.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
My guess would be that \( |f(z) - P(z)| = |-z^8 -z -2| \leq |z^8| + |z| + |2| = 1+1+2 < |f(z)| = |-5z^3| = 5 \). As for the reasoning of why they have the same number of zeros inside the unit circle I'm still lost as well.
I knew that piece. I wasn't sure why they set up $|f(z) - P(z)|$.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Can someone actually explain this? I have a book and I couldn't figure it out from there so I need something besides a reference.