Calculating Power and Torque for Rotational Motion

• Thread starter Cyannaca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a grinding stone of radius 10 cm and a tool exerting a force of 50N against its circumference. The problem asks for the necessary power to maintain the stone's rotation at a constant angular velocity. The solution involves using the power formula and considering the work done by the motor and the work done by friction. The final answer is 62.8 W.
Cyannaca
I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem. My exam is in 3 days and I don't understand how to do this problem!

A grinding stone of radius 10 cm ( I=0,2 kg*m^2) turns at a rate of 200 RPM. A tool is leaned against the circumference of the grinding stone with a force of 50N of radial direction. The kinetic coefficient of friction is equal to 0,6.
(A) What power is necessary to maintain the grinding stone in rotation at a constant angular velocity?

The answer is supposed to be 62,8 W and I know I have to use torque but I really don't know how to do it :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyannaca said:
A grinding stone of radius 10 cm ( I=0,2 kg*m^2) turns at a rate of 200 RPM. A tool is leaned against the circumference of the grinding stone with a force of 50N of radial direction. The kinetic coefficient of friction is equal to 0,6.
(A) What power is necessary to maintain the grinding stone in rotation at a constant angular velocity?

The answer is supposed to be 62,8 W and I know I have to use torque but I really don't know how to do it :confused:

power formula: (T is torque, t is time)

[tex]P = \frac{T \theta}{t}[/tex]

[tex]P = T\omega[/tex]

convert 200rpm into rad/s and it should be easy from there.

I just worked the problem all the way through and the answer does work out.

Last edited:
There's a real easy way to do this - almost a short cut.

Notice that if the stone must be turning at a constant angular velocity, it's Kinetic Energy must be constant. So the work done by the motor = work done by friction. Dividing by time, we have the power of motor = power removed by friction.

Also we know that power = force * velocity.
The relevant velocity here is the speed of the edge of the grinding wheel (where the friction acts) = w*R, where w is in rad/s. Lastly, the frictional force is 0.6 * 50 N = 30 N.

Plugging in numbers, you'll find that P = 63 W

Gokul43201 said:
Notice that if the stone must be turning at a constant angular velocity, it's Kinetic Energy must be constant. So the work done by the motor = work done by friction. Dividing by time, we have the power of motor = power removed by friction.
You totally stole that from my post :tongue:

Shawn how did he steal that from your post?

1. What is torque and how is it related to force?

Torque is the measurement of the rotational force applied to an object. It is directly related to force, as torque is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

2. How do you calculate torque in a given situation?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied and the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is T = F * d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the unit of torque and how is it measured?

The unit of torque is Newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system. It can also be measured in foot-pounds (ft*lb) in the imperial system. Torque is typically measured using a torque wrench, which applies a specific amount of force and measures the resulting torque.

4. How does torque affect the motion of an object?

Torque can cause an object to rotate or change its rotational speed. The direction of the torque is determined by the direction of the force applied. If the torque is greater than the object's moment of inertia, it will cause the object to rotate.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque?

Torque is used in many everyday objects, such as door handles, wrenches, and bicycles. It is also important in more complex systems, such as car engines and industrial machinery. Understanding torque is crucial in designing and maintaining these systems for optimal performance.