Number of students in a school event

In summary, during a school event, there were 8 times as many pupils as teachers and there were three times as many boys as girls. After some calculations, it was determined that there were 126 people at the event, with 112 students and 14 teachers present.
Johnx1
During a school event, there were 8 times as many pupils as teachers and there were three times as many boys as girls. There were 70 fewer teachers than boys. How many people were there at the school event?

My answer: is there a better way to do it.

We know that pupils are students

Students = S
boys = B
Teachers = T

So...

S = 8T
Boys = 3G
T = B - 70

Since there is 8x students than teachers, I did Boys = 6x and girls = 2x

I'm going to use this next: S = 8T

8x = 8(B -70)

8x = 8(6x - 70)

8x = 4x - 560

x = 14

We know there is 8x students, so there are 112 students and we know that there is 1/8 of teachers, so there are 14 teachers.

Answer = 126.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Johnx said:
During a school event, there were 8 times as many pupils as teachers and there were three times as many boys as girls. There were 70 fewer teachers than boys. How many people were there at the school event?

My answer: is there a better way to do it.

We know that pupils are students

Students = S
boys = B
Teachers = T

So...

S = 8T
Boys = 3G
T = B - 70
Very good!

Since there is 8x students than teachers, I did Boys = 6x and girls = 2x
Okay, there were 3 times as many boys as girls and 6= 3*2. the total number of students is 8 x. Why not just use "T" rather than x?

going to use this next: S = 8T
Actually you have already use that when you wrote the total number of students as 8x= 8T.

8x = 8(B -70)

8x = 8(6x - 70)

8x = 4x - 560
? 8 times 6 x is 48x, not 4x!
8x= 48x- 560
40x= 560
x= 560/40= 14 so that "4x" was a typo?

x = 14

We know there is 8x students, so there are 112 students and we know that there is 1/8 of teachers, so there are 14 teachers.

Answer = 126.
Yes, there were 6(14)= 84 boys, 2(14)= 28 girls, and 84- 70= 14 teachers so a total of 84+ 28+ 14= 126 people. Very good!

Country Boy said:
Very good! Okay, there were 3 times as many boys as girls and 6= 3*2. the total number of students is 8 x. Why not just use "T" rather than x?Actually you have already use that when you wrote the total number of students as 8x= 8T.

8x = 8(B -70)

8x = 8(6x - 70)

8x = 4x - 560
? 8 times 6 x is 48x, not 4x!
8x= 48x- 560
40x= 560
x= 560/40= 14 so that "4x" was a typo? Yes, there were 6(14)= 84 boys, 2(14)= 28 girls, and 84- 70= 14 teachers so a total of 84+ 28+ 14= 126 people. Very good!

thank you.

Yes, that was a typo :-)---------------------------------
Students = S
boys = B
Teachers = T

So...

S = 8T
Boys = 3G
T = B - 70

I found a different way of doing it.

Since we know T = B -70. And boys = 6T, I did.

T = 6T - 70. Which equals T = 14.

So, S = 8T

S = 8(14) = 112

112 + 14 = 126.Thank you again.

Related to Number of students in a school event

1. How is the number of students in a school event determined?

The number of students in a school event is typically determined by the total number of students enrolled at the school, as well as any specific criteria or requirements for the event. This number may also vary depending on the event's popularity and attendance guidelines set by the school.

2. What is the average number of students who attend school events?

The average number of students who attend school events can vary greatly depending on the type of event. For smaller, more specialized events, the average number may be lower. However, for larger and more popular events, the average number can range from a few hundred to several thousand.

3. How do schools ensure an accurate count of students at events?

Schools typically use a variety of methods to ensure an accurate count of students at events. These can include taking attendance, scanning student IDs, or using ticket sales as a way to track the number of students in attendance. Some schools may also have staff or volunteers stationed at various points during the event to help keep track of the number of students present.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the number of students at a school event?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the number of students at a school event. These can include the date and time of the event, any competing events or commitments, the popularity and promotion of the event, and the overall interest and participation of students at the school.

5. Is there a limit to the number of students who can attend a school event?

This can vary depending on the event and the school's specific guidelines. Some events may have a set capacity limit based on the venue or resources available. Additionally, some events may require students to purchase tickets or have a certain number of chaperones present in order to attend. It is important for students to check with their school for any specific limitations before attending an event.