Number of states of finite automata

In summary, using proof by induction, it can be shown that for each $n>0$, there exists a language $B_n$ that can be recognized by an NFA with $n$ states. Additionally, if $B_n$ is the union of regular languages $A_i$, then at least one of the $A_i$ requires a DFA with exponentially many states.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Prove that for each $n>0$, a language $B_n$ exists where
  1. $B_n$ is recognizable by an NFA that has $n$ states, and
  2. If $B_n=A_1 \cup \dots \cup A_k$, for regular languages $A_i$, then at least one of the $A_i$ requires a DFA with exponentially many states.

Could you give me some hints how I could show that?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Proof by induction: Base case ($n = 1$): Let $B_1 = A_1 \cup A_2$ where $A_1$ and $A_2$ are regular languages. Since $B_1$ can be recognized by an NFA with one state, then $A_1$ and $A_2$ have to be recognized by DFAs with at most one state. This implies that at least one of the $A_i$ requires a DFA with exponentially many states. Induction Hypothesis: Assume that for some $n > 0$, the statement is true for all $B_n$. Inductive Step: Let $B_{n+1} = A_1 \cup \dots \cup A_k$ where $A_i$ are regular languages. We know that $B_{n+1}$ can be recognized by an NFA with $(n+1)$ states. Therefore, each $A_i$ must be recognized by a DFA with at most $(n+1)$ states. But since the induction hypothesis holds for $n$, then we know that at least one of the $A_i$ requires a DFA with exponentially many states. Thus, for each $n>0$, a language $B_n$ exists where $B_n$ is recognizable by an NFA that has $n$ states, and if $B_n=A_1 \cup \dots \cup A_k$, for regular languages $A_i$, then at least one of the $A_i$ requires a DFA with exponentially many states.

Related to Number of states of finite automata

1. What is the definition of "number of states" in the context of finite automata?

The number of states of a finite automaton refers to the total number of distinct states that the automaton can be in during its operation.

2. How is the number of states determined in a finite automaton?

The number of states in a finite automaton is determined by the design and construction of the automaton. It is dependent on the number of states that are needed to represent all possible combinations of inputs and outputs in the automaton's transition function.

3. What is the relationship between the number of states and the complexity of a finite automaton?

The number of states in a finite automaton is directly related to its complexity. As the number of states increases, the automaton becomes more complex and is able to recognize and process a greater variety of inputs.

4. How does the number of states impact the efficiency of a finite automaton?

The number of states can significantly impact the efficiency of a finite automaton. A larger number of states can lead to longer processing times and increased memory usage, while a smaller number of states can make the automaton less robust in recognizing certain patterns or inputs.

5. Can the number of states in a finite automaton be changed after it has been constructed?

Yes, the number of states in a finite automaton can be changed by modifying the automaton's design and transition function. However, this may require significant changes to the automaton's structure and can affect its performance and capabilities.