Number of resistors for potential divider?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum number of resistors required to create a specific voltage in a circuit using a combination of series and parallel resistors. While there is no easy way to determine the minimum number, it is possible to create any fraction p/q with q resistors in series and the voltmeter connected across p of them. The pattern for the number of resistors needed for a given voltage (x=a/b) is the same as for x=(b-a)/b, and for x=1/b, b resistors are required when b is prime. Various examples and values are provided as evidence.
cubzar
Not sure whether to post in mathematics or physics section.

A circuit contains a cell of unit E.M.F. Use any combination of identical resistors in series and/or parrallel in order to create a voltage of x across a voltmeter connected anywhere on the circuit. Assume that there is no internal resistance or resistance in the wires, and the voltmeter does not draw any current. What is the easiest way to find the minimum number of resistors required for a given value of x (x<1 and x is rational, otherwise there is no solution)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You lost me

I don't think there is an easy way to find the minimum numbers. You can make any fraction p/q, with q resistors in series, where you connect the voltmeter across p of them, but this is not always the smallest number.

with four resistances you can make a voltage of 1/5 by putting 2 in series to get a 2 ohm resistance, and 2 in parallel to get 1/2 ohm. If you make a voltage divider from 2 ohm and 1/2 ohm you get 1/2 / (2 + 1/2) = 1/5.

The only pattern I could be sure of is that the numbers of resistors for x=a/b is the same as for x=(b-a)/b. It also looks like b resistors are required when x=1/b and b is prime.
A few values I have found:
voltage no. of resistors
1/2 2
1/3 3
1/4 4
1/5 5
2/5 4
1/6 4
1/7 7
2/7 5
3/7 5
1/8 8
3/8 7
1/10 5
2/13 8
7/13 7
2/19 19
19/23 13
2/31 17

The number of resistors needed for a potential divider can be determined using the formula N = E/x - 1, where N is the number of resistors, E is the unit E.M.F., and x is the desired voltage. This formula applies to both mathematics and physics, as it involves principles of both fields.

To find the minimum number of resistors required for a given value of x, we can rearrange the formula to solve for x. This will give us the minimum voltage required for a given number of resistors. Then, we can compare this voltage to the desired voltage, x, and determine the minimum number of resistors needed.

In terms of posting in the mathematics or physics section, both would be suitable as this topic involves concepts from both fields. However, the physics section may provide more specific and relevant answers as it directly relates to circuits and potential dividers.

Related to Number of resistors for potential divider?

1. How do I calculate the number of resistors needed for a potential divider?

To calculate the number of resistors needed for a potential divider, you need to know the desired output voltage and the input voltage. Then, use the formula N = Vin / Vout, where N is the number of resistors needed. This will give you the ratio of the resistors needed to achieve your desired output voltage.

2. Can I use any type of resistor for a potential divider?

Yes, you can use any type of resistor for a potential divider as long as it can handle the desired voltage and power requirements. However, it is recommended to use resistors with similar values to ensure balanced current flow.

3. How does the number of resistors affect the output voltage of a potential divider?

The number of resistors in a potential divider affects the output voltage by changing the ratio of the resistors. The more resistors you have, the finer control you have over the output voltage. However, adding more resistors also increases the total resistance of the circuit, which can affect the overall performance.

4. Is there a limit to the number of resistors I can use in a potential divider?

There is no specific limit to the number of resistors you can use in a potential divider. However, as mentioned earlier, adding more resistors can increase the total resistance and affect the overall performance. It is best to use the minimum number of resistors needed to achieve your desired output voltage.

5. Can I change the number of resistors in a potential divider to adjust the output voltage?

Yes, you can change the number of resistors in a potential divider to adjust the output voltage. Adding or removing resistors will change the ratio and, therefore, the output voltage. However, it is important to note that changing the number of resistors can also affect the total resistance and the overall performance of the circuit.