Electric Field at Point C: A to B & B to C

In summary: If it's going right, then the field at C would be negative. If it's going left, then the field at C would be positive.
marshall4
Charge A is +2.5*10^-5C Charge B is -3.7*10^-7C.
A is 25cm away from B. Point C is 10cm away from point B. What is the electric field at C? All points are in a line A--B-C.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]A: 25\mu C, B: -.37\mu C, C: ?[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
E &= \frac{F}{q}
&= \frac{kqQ/r^2}{q}
&= k\frac{Q}{r^2}
&= \frac{Q}{4\pi \sigma_{0}r^2}
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Last edited:
I have no idea what you just wrote. What numbrs do i put in for where?

A, B, attract each other.

[tex]F_{AB} = k\frac{Q_1 Q_2}{r^2} = 6.796 * 10^{21}[/tex]

[tex]E = F/q[/tex]

Should be easy from there.

Edit: q could be thought as a differential, a number really close to 0, but never reach 0; so:

[tex]E = \lim_{q-->0} \frac{F}{q}[/tex]

Last edited:
How do i find the charge (q) at C for [tex]E = F/q[/tex]

How did you figue out [tex]F_{AB} = k\frac{Q_1 Q_2}{r^2} = 6.796 * 10^{21}[/tex]
k=9.0*10^9
q1= 2.5*10^-5 C
q2=-3.7*10^-7 C
r=0.35m

With those numbers i got -0.6795 N

What did i do wrong?

Also, can this problem be solved by finding electric fields separately and then adding them??

You've posted 5 questions all of which involve using the same basic formulas. Show us what you have done on the problem.

Originally posted by marshall4
How did you figue out [tex]F_{AB} = k\frac{Q_1 Q_2}{r^2} = 6.796 * 10^{21}[/tex]
k=9.0*10^9
q1= 2.5*10^-5 C
q2=-3.7*10^-7 C
r=0.35m

With those numbers i got -0.6795 N

What did i do wrong?

Also, can this problem be solved by finding electric fields separately and then adding them??

When i use the formula [tex]F_{AB} = k\frac{Q_1 Q_2}{r^2}[/tex] Do i multiply that negative sign in the equation for a negative charge?

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
You've posted 5 questions all of which involve using the same basic formulas. Show us what you have done on the problem.

This is what i did Fe=[(9.0*10^9)(2.5*10^10-5)(3.7*10^-70]/(.25)^2 =1.332

[tex]E = F/q[/tex] , but i don't know that charge at C

Is that what i do? Or what did i do wrong

PS. Is there some kind of software that i can get so i don't have to keep using ^ for exponents?

If i try this [tex]E = \lim_{q-->0} \frac{F}{q}[/tex] i will get

[tex]E = \lim_{q-->0} \frac{F(x+q)-F(x)}{q}[/tex] , i don't kow that the numbers are? I don't think i got the step before this

1. There is NO charge at C. The "electric field" (since you are treating it as a scalar) at a point is, by definition, the force that would be applied to a unit charge.

2. You don't need special software. On this forum x [ s u p]2[ / s u p] (without the spaces) will give x2.

There is a thread at the top of each forum area called
"Announcement: Howto Make Math Symbols Update" that explains that and more.

Would this work?

Find the electric fields a pont A & B. Then add the two fields ? Or would you subtract the two fields ?

Use the formula [tex]{E} = k\frac{Q}{r^2}[/tex]

Is the field on point A & B going left or right?

Last edited:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds electrically charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range.

2. How is the electric field measured?

The electric field is measured by calculating the force exerted on a test charge placed at a point in the field.

3. How is the electric field at point C calculated?

The electric field at point C is calculated by taking into account the magnitude and direction of the electric field at points A and B, as well as the distance between these points.

4. What is the significance of the electric field at point C in relation to points A and B?

The electric field at point C is important because it represents the combined effect of the electric fields at points A and B on any charged particles placed at point C.

5. How does the direction of the electric field change between points A and B?

The direction of the electric field changes between points A and B depending on the relative charges and positions of the particles at these points. If the charges are of the same sign, the electric field will point away from both points. If the charges are of opposite signs, the electric field will point towards both points.