America you don't know what you've done.

• News
  • Thread starter Laser Eyes
  • Start date
In summary: Give up on defense and just sit back and allow terrorists to kill us? That's not a solution, that's insanity.Defense is the most important.
I thought that "they really all want to be like us, but just don't quite know it yet" attitude had died out... guess not. Nobody likes being oppressed, pretty much by definition.

Pretty much everyone in Iraq hates Saddam: he truly is brutal, and there are coup attempts all the time. The Republican Guard is used to keep the army in line, but Saddam doesn't even trust them enough to let them inside Baghdad! (until the invasion started, at least) And that's his army.

Problem is, many Iraqis see this not a liberation, but as an attack on Iraq... "Saddam may not be popular in Iraq, but he's running against George Bush."

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/1048770098290210.xml
http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0402-01.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...
I guess the "like being opressed" part didn't
quite come out the way I meant it and it wasn't
aimed at Iraq in particular, such violent rule
fits that a lot less than other countries in
the region. I appologize for being unclear.

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by damgo
I thought that "they really all want to be like us, but just don't quite know it yet" attitude had died out... guess not.
They want to be exactly like us, in that all they really want to do is go to work so they can provide for their families without having a boot on their neck.

Problem is, many Iraqis see this not a liberation, but as an attack on Iraq... "Saddam may not be popular in Iraq, but he's running against George Bush."
That is supposition. The interviews with civilians that are beginning to come out of Iraq point to the opposite of your statement.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/1048770098290210.xml[/quote]
I should have known even before I clicked. The word 'Oregon' in the URL should have tipped me off. That sad retired general is spewing the same tired liberal non-arguments that have been coming out of Hollywood. "What about North Korea? They already have nuclear weapons!" they shriek.

This is real simple to understand. Let me use an analogy...

This dog has rabies. That dog doesn't but is about to eat some rabies infected meat. What do you do?

If that's too hard to figure out, I suggest you retreat, regroup, and try again, because you just aren't ready for prime-time.

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0402-01.htm[/QUOTE]
I simply can not believe that someone would willingly read the same tired argument, and believe that it had merit, after all that has gone on.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is supposition. The interviews with civilians that are beginning to come out of Iraq point to the opposite of your statement.
Yeah, it is. I've been trying to read as much as I can and get a picture of the sentiment in Iraq through all the spin, but it's hard. It seems like most Iraqis hate Saddam, don't like being invaded and attacked, but would be willing to put up with a lot to get rid of Saddam, and won't be terribly angry at the USA IF we get them food and aid quickly, set up a good government, and then get the hell out. It doesn't seem like there's much faith in this last though.

I know that argument is invalid, but there's a difference between thinking that dealing with NK is more urgent/important than dealing with Iraq, and the usual "oh yeah, well what about NK?" you just shot down. :)

IMO McPeak is a bright guy... lot of good stuff in that article. And he's certainly not a liberal! He broke tradition to campaign for Bush in the last election.

You're right. If we don't get out of there fast, all this moralizing could be for nothing. People will see US as same old same old.

Alias, teh only real difference between you and me is your optimism and trust in the Bush administration. You very often agree that what I think is going to happen is not good...you simply choose to believe that the bad things won't happen.

Frightening isn't it?

Originally posted by Alias
Frightening isn't it?

Yeah...if you would get rid of about 50% of your hostility towards us dissenters, your points would come across 100% better.

I have to say that if that is the only difference that is scary.:wink: