Number of oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre

In summary, the conversation discussed estimating the number of oxygen molecules in a room under normal pressure and temperature using the ideal gas law. The volume of the room, pressure, and temperature were given, and the number of moles of oxygen was calculated. This was then used to determine the number of oxygen molecules in the room, with the reminder that it is important to use Avogadro's number when converting from moles to molecules.
Chewy247
1. Estimate the number of oxygen molecules in LTD under normal pressure and temperature.

2. I'm guessing you use PV=nRT to get the number of moles of gas in the room and work out the % of oxygen in the air, but I got a number which to me looks too small.

3. Volume of LTD is approx 200m^3, P=101325 Pa, R=8.314472 J K-1 mol-1, T=273.15 K.

n=8922.996613.
20.95% of air is oxygen, therefore I wound up with 1869.36779 molecules of oxygen in the room.

(See I can't tell if there is more to it, or if the holidays have turned me into a thoroughbred moron)

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you ended up with ~1900 moles of oxygen in the air. You'd then have 1900*Avagadro's # molecules of oxygen.

Heheh I knew it was that simple. It seems I have a bit of mind fuzz, thanks for the kick in the arse!

Related to Number of oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre

What is the number of oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre?

The number of oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre can vary depending on the size of the theatre and the number of people in it. However, on average, there are approximately 5.3 x 10^25 oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre.

How do you calculate the number of oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre?

The number of oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre can be calculated using Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) and the ideal gas law. The equation is N = (PV)/(RT), where N is the number of molecules, P is the pressure, V is the volume, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature.

Why is the number of oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre important?

The number of oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre is important because oxygen is necessary for human survival. It is also important for maintaining a comfortable and safe environment in the lecture theatre, as oxygen is needed for proper ventilation and air circulation.

Can the number of oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre change?

Yes, the number of oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre can change. This can happen due to a variety of factors such as the number of people in the theatre, ventilation systems, and external environmental factors. It is important to regularly monitor and maintain a safe and adequate level of oxygen in the theatre.

What is considered a safe level of oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre?

A safe level of oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre is typically around 19-23% of the total air composition. This level is necessary for human survival and comfort. If the level drops below this range, it can lead to health issues such as dizziness, fatigue, and difficulty breathing.