Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Number of molecules

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
Suppose I have a graph with velocity of a gas v on the x-axis and number of molecules N on the y-axis, how would I find the number of molecules with v>v_0, where v_0 is a given velocity?

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
How about

$$\int_{v_{0}}^{\infty}N(v)\,dv?$$

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
How about

$$\int_{v_{0}}^{\infty}N(v)\,dv?$$
But that has dimensions vxN.

As stated, the answer to the problem is infinity since we have to consider infinitely many velocities. (Note that I have a continuous distribution.) So I guess we cannot have such a graph.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
You're right about the units. I'll have to rethink that. However, you're not correct about infinities. What if $N(v)=e^{-v^{2}}?$ Note that $\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}N(v)\,dv=\sqrt{\pi}$, in that case. You can definitely have a finite integral, if the number of molecules with a given velocity drops off fast enough.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I have it, I think. Your function $N$ does not have units of [number of molecules]. It has units of [number of molecules]/[v]. So the [v]'s will cancel out in the integration. You're integrating a density function. So, I think that
$$\int_{v_{0}}^{\infty}N(v)\,dv$$
still works. And if your $N(v)$ is to be at all realistic, it must die off fast enough for the integral to converge, since we believe there are a finite number of molecules in the universe!

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
I have it, I think. Your function $N$ does not have units of [number of molecules]. It has units of [number of molecules]/[v]. So the [v]'s will cancel out in the integration. You're integrating a density function. So, I think that
$$\int_{v_{0}}^{\infty}N(v)\,dv$$
still works. And if your $N(v)$ is to be at all realistic, it must die off fast enough for the integral to converge, since we believe there are a finite number of molecules in the universe!
But I told you that N has units of [number of molecules]. With all due respect, N having units of [number of molecules]/[v] doesn't make any sense. Pretty sure you're mistaken.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
But I told you that N has units of [number of molecules]. With all due respect, N having units of [number of molecules]/[v] doesn't make any sense. Pretty sure you're mistaken.
On a continuous graph N cannot be a number it must be a number density.

CB

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
Last edited:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
If N is continuous then P[N=a] for any a is 0, so it can only be considered between a range of values.

As I understand the situation you are trying to create, the x-axis is continuous and the y-axis is discrete so for any $N_i$ there should be a corresponding range of velocities \(\displaystyle v_a<v_i<v_b=N_i\). However, N can't realistically be non-integer though unless molecule means something different than I've ever seen.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
What do you mean by number density?
Number of molecule in a unit speed interval (or rather \( \lim_{\Delta v\to 0} N(v-\Delta v/2, v+\Delta v/2)/ \Delta v \) where \( N(v-\Delta v/2, v+\Delta v/2) \) denotes the number in the speed range \((v-\Delta v/2, v+\Delta v/2) \) )

CB

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
An alternative type of data presentation where the vertical scale is number is a cumulative number plot, where against speed v we plot the total number (or fraction) with speed less than or equal to v.

This gives a plot that is independedent of assumptions about discrete or continuous (or for that matter mixed continuous and discrete) distributions (one has steps, the other does not).

CB

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Suppose I have a graph with velocity of a gas v on the x-axis and number of molecules N on the y-axis, how would I find the number of molecules with v>v_0, where v_0 is a given velocity?
The speed distribution of the molecules of a gas with absolute temperature T has been found by Maxwell and Boltzmann about hundred and fifty years ago...

$\displaystyle f(v)= \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}\ (\frac{m}{K\ T})^{3}}\ v^{2}\ e^{- \frac{m\ v^{2}}{2\ K\ T}}$ (1)

... where m is the mass of a single molecule and K is the 'Boltzmann's constant'. If N is the global number of molecules, the the number of molecules with $\displaystyle v> v_{0}$ is given by...

$\displaystyle N_{0}= N\ \int_{v_{0}}^{\infty} f(v)\ dv$ (2)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
The speed distribution of the molecules of a gas with absolute temperature T has been found by Maxwell and Boltzmann about hundred and fifty years ago...

$\displaystyle f(v)= \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}\ (\frac{m}{K\ T})^{3}}\ v^{2}\ e^{- \frac{m\ v^{2}}{2\ K\ T}}$ (1)

... where m is the mass of a single molecule and K is the 'Boltzmann's constant'. If N is the global number of molecules, the the number of molecules with $\displaystyle v> v_{0}$ is given by...

$\displaystyle N_{0}= N\ \int_{v_{0}}^{\infty} f(v)\ dv$ (2)
Of course in the formula (2) You consider $N_{0}$ as continuous variable and is $\displaystyle N_{0}= N\ P \{v>v_{0}\}$. In case You intend to consider $N_{0}$ as an integer, then the x-y diagram must be an histogram where on the X axis is reported an integer k and on the Y axis is reported the number of molecules $N_{k}$ having speed $\displaystyle k\ v_{u} \le v< (k+1)\ v_{u}$. In this case the number of molecules having speed $\displaystyle > v_{0}$ is...

$\displaystyle N_{0}= \sum_{k= \text{int} \frac{v_{0}}{v_{u}}} ^ {\infty} N_{k}$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$