Number of hours of daylight - Periodic functions.

In summary, OP never responded to the few replies there, but there may be a small amount of help for you there.
Evangeline101

Homework Statement

upload_2016-7-12_2-5-46.png

upload_2016-7-12_2-6-41.png

upload_2016-7-12_2-7-2.png

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

a) It is a periodic relationship because the number of hours of daylight repeats each year?
OR
It is a periodic relationship because the number of hours of daylight is based on the rotation of the earth, which is also periodic..?

b) The period of this function is 360 days because the function repeats every 360 days.

c) For day 280, the number of hours of daylight would be about 12 hrs:
upload_2016-7-12_2-20-54.png

d) For day 320, the number of hours of daylight would be about 6 hrs:
upload_2016-7-12_2-23-45.png

(For the graphs, should i draw a line of best fit?)
I would really appreciate it if someone could look over my answers and make sure everything is in order!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Evangeline101 said:
a) It is a periodic relationship because the number of hours of daylight repeats each year?
OR
It is a periodic relationship because the number of hours of daylight is based on the rotation of the earth, which is also periodic..
How long does it take for the Earth to rotate on its axis once? What relation does that have to daylight and darkness?

You say the number of hours of daylight repeats over a yearly cycle, which makes sense. You get more daylight hours in summer than in winter. Do you know why that is the case?

b) The period of this function is 360 days because the function repeats every 360 days.
Is 360 days related to the rotation of the Earth, or something else?

For parts (c) and (d), your answers look to be on the right track, but the points you have plotted look a little bit off to me, just judging by eye.

You ask about drawing a line of best fit. Are you familiar with sine and cosine curves?

Evangeline101 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 103088
View attachment 103089
View attachment 103090

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

OR
It is a periodic relationship because the number of hours of daylight is based on the rotation of the earth, which is also periodic..?

c) For day 280, the number of hours of daylight would be about 12 hrs:
View attachment 103092

d) For day 320, the number of hours of daylight would be about 6 hrs:
View attachment 103093
(For the graphs, should i draw a line of best fit?)

I would really appreciate it if someone could look over my answers and make sure everything is in order!
Thanks!
There was a thread started late in May of this year with the same problem to solve.
OP never responded to the few replies there, but there may be a small amount of help for you there.

Both your answers to part a) are correct, with the second reason being the basis for the first of your answers.

You may find it interesting to "Google" Yellowknife. You'll find that it's a city in Canada.Your answer(s) to part a) should give you the answer to part b), without resorting to the points plotted on the graph.

How many days are there in a year in Canada?

James R said:
You ask about drawing a line of best fit. Are you familiar with sine and cosine curves?

Yes I am familiar with these curves, I am pretty sure that this graph represents a cosine curve.

James R said:
For parts (c) and (d), your answers look to be on the right track, but the points you have plotted look a little bit off to me, just judging by eye.

Could you suggest a way to make the points more accurate?

SammyS said:
Both your answers to part a) are correct, with the second reason being the basis for the first of your answers.

Okay, so I could say:
It is a periodic relationship because the number of hours of daylight repeats each year, also the number of hours of daylight is based on the rotation of the Earth which is also periodic.

SammyS said:
You may find it interesting to "Google" Yellowknife. You'll find that it's a city in Canada.

Yes, I should know this since I am Canadian :wink:

SammyS said:
Your answer(s) to part a) should give you the answer to part b), without resorting to the points plotted on the graph.

How many days are there in a year in Canada?

Okay so the period would be 365 days since the number of hours of daylight repeats each year...?

Evangeline101 said:

Okay so the period would be 365 days since the number of hours of daylight repeats each year...?
Yes.

Evangeline101 said:
Yes I am familiar with these curves, I am pretty sure that this graph represents a cosine curve.
Sine and cosine curves have the same shape. In a sense they are really the same function, just shifted along the axis relative to one another.

Could you suggest a way to make the points more accurate?
As the link to the previous thread on this question shows, the easy way is to use the symmetry that you expect from the curve over the course of the year. For example, the largest number of daylight hours will be at the summer solstice. One day before and after that the number of daylight hours will be equal to one another. 10 days before and after will be equal. 100 days before and after will be equal, and so on.

A more "algebraic" way of completing the plot would be to work out the parameters (Amplitude, phase constant, period) of the particular sinusoidal function on the graph and then use that to calculate the expected value at any given day. However, probably the question does not expect you to do that. Also, before you could actually justify doing it that way you'd really need to know why the curve should be a sine/cosine shape in the first place, which is probably beyond what the question is expecting you to know.

Evangeline101 said:
Okay, so I could say:
It is a periodic relationship because the number of hours of daylight repeats each year, also the number of hours of daylight is based on the rotation of the Earth which is also periodic.
Day and night are caused by the Earth's rotation. The Earth rotates once every 24 hours, so it gets approximately 12 hours of darkness and 12 hours of daylight each day. However, it's not exactly 12 hours of each because the Earth's axis is tilted relative to the plane of the Earth's orbit around the sun. It is that tilt that causes the seasons and also causes the number of hours of daylight and darkness to change over the course of a year. In Canada, when the North pole of the Earth is pointing roughly in the direction of the Sun, it is Summer and you get more daylight because the northern hemisphere spends more of each 24 hour day in the sunlight. On the other hand, when the North pole is tilted directly away from the Sun, it is Winter and you get less daylight because the northern hemisphere spends more time in the "shadow" away from the Sun.

The actual number of daylight hours varies with latitude. The maximum variation over the course of year happens at the poles of the Earth, and the least variation happens at the equator. For example, the North pole and South pole each have total darkness for several months of the year (the sun is never seen to rise above the horizon during those months), and constant daylight for another several months (when the sun never sets).

Extremely sorry for the late reply ( I was studying for an exam and didn't have time to focus on this) but now I am back :)

James R said:

Ok so I attempted part c and d again, and wanted to know if these points are plotted more accurately:

c)
upload_2016-7-29_19-13-22.png

d)
upload_2016-7-29_19-15-26.png

On the same graph, it looks like this:
upload_2016-7-29_19-21-16.png

Evangeline101 said:
Extremely sorry for the late reply ( I was studying for an exam and didn't have time to focus on this) but now I am back :)

Ok so I attempted part c and d again, and wanted to know if these points are plotted more accurately:
c)
View attachment 104060

d)
View attachment 104061

On the same graph, it looks like this:
View attachment 104062
They look reasonable. Can you explain how you arrived at those results?

SammyS said:
They look reasonable. Can you explain how you arrived at those results?

Well, i am not sure if this is a proper way to do it, but for part c) i took the 80 day point and used the same point for 280 days (which is about 11.8), and for part d) i took the 40 day point and used the same point for 320 days (which is about 7.2), I don't know if that makes any sense?

Evangeline101 said:
Well, i am not sure if this is a proper way to do it, but for part c) i took the 80 day point and used the same point for 280 days (which is about 11.8), and for part d) i took the 40 day point and used the same point for 320 days (which is about 7.2), I don't know if that makes any sense?
After a second look, and your explanation, no those points don't look quite right.

Half a year is 182.5 days.

The summer solstice is on or about June 21. That's day 172. That agrees with the graph. The graph should be symmetric with respect to day 172.

Ok so from my understanding:

for part c) the number of hours of daylight on day 280 would be about 10.1 hrs:
(the green line roughly shows the line of symmetry at 172 days)

upload_2016-7-30_15-43-19.png

part d) the number of hours of daylight on day 320 would be 6 hrs:

upload_2016-7-30_15-46-46.png

On the same graph:
upload_2016-7-30_15-48-24.png

Is this an improvement?

In my opinion, this is the improvement you needed.

Looks good.

SammyS said:
In my opinion, this is the improvement you needed.

Looks good.

Ok, is it better to draw a curve through the points or just leave it as points?

Also, for part b) would the period of the function possibly be 340 days, if you continue to extend the pattern in this way it stops at 340 days and then the pattern would repeat from this point...?

Evangeline101 said:
Also, for part b) would the period of the function possibly be 340 days, if you continue to extend the pattern in this way it stops at 340 days and then the pattern would repeat from this point...?
No.

You can't determine this from the graph.

What is the basic cause for the number of hours os daylight being periodic?

SammyS said:
What is the basic cause for the number of hours os daylight being periodic?

It repeats each year, so it would stay at 365 days.

Evangeline101 said:
It repeats each year, so it would stay at 365 days.
Correct !

SammyS said:
Correct !

Ok thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it! :biggrin:

Related to Number of hours of daylight - Periodic functions.

1. What is the definition of a periodic function?

A periodic function is a mathematical function that repeats its values at regular intervals or periods. This means that the function returns the same output for a given input after a certain period of time or distance. In the case of the number of hours of daylight, the function would repeat itself every 24 hours.

2. How does the number of hours of daylight change throughout the year?

The number of hours of daylight changes throughout the year due to the tilt of the Earth's axis and its orbit around the sun. This results in longer days during the summer and shorter days during the winter. In the Northern Hemisphere, the longest day of the year is the summer solstice, while the shortest day is the winter solstice.

3. Can the number of hours of daylight be represented by a sine or cosine function?

Yes, the number of hours of daylight can be represented by a sine or cosine function. This is because the change in daylight follows a regular and predictable pattern throughout the year, similar to the oscillating motion of a sine or cosine wave.

4. How do scientists measure the number of hours of daylight?

Scientists use a device called a sundial to measure the number of hours of daylight. The shadow cast by the sun on the sundial changes throughout the day, with longer shadows in the morning and evening and shorter shadows at midday. By measuring the length of the shadow, scientists can determine the number of daylight hours.

5. Can the number of hours of daylight be used to predict the weather?

The number of hours of daylight itself cannot be used to predict the weather. However, it can be a contributing factor to weather patterns and changes. For example, longer daylight hours during the summer can lead to warmer temperatures, while shorter daylight hours during the winter can result in colder temperatures.