Number of generators of finite group

In summary, a finite group with less than 1000 elements can be generated by less than 10 elements, as shown by the fact that the group can be broken down into subgroups with at least twice the number of elements as the previous subgroup. This means that a group with less than 1000 elements cannot require more than 9 generators.
gerben
Can someone give some clarification of why this would be the case:

"A group with less then 1000 elements can be generated by less than 10 elements"

Clearly this is the case for some groups, but is it really the case for any group with less than 1000 elements?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about finite groups - but this does sound like a question that could be answered using the GAP "Small groups" library:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de/~hubesche/small.html

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you going to do, check every group to see what its smallest set of generators is?

It sounds plausible. Suppose we have 10 elements generating a group. To make the group as small as possible we give them all order 2. Then to make sure that there are as few multiplicative combinations as possible, we make all the elements commute. But then we have [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2^{10}[/tex] which has 1024 elements

[STRIKE]Does this work? Given a group G, look at its composition series 1 = G0 ⊲ ... ⊲ Gn = G; then letting Qi = Gi/Gi-1 for i = 1, ..., n, we have |G| = |Q1| × ... × |Qn|. Now one may appeal to the classification of finite simple groups to show that each Qi may be generated by ki elements, where |Qi| ≥ 2ki. (I haven't verified this, but there are only 5 noncyclic cases to check with order less than 1000.) And then note that since Gi-1 ⊲ Gi, generators of Gi-1, together with representatives of generators of Qi = Gi/Gi-1, generate all of Gi. (I imagine this is true but I haven't proven it.) Thus, by induction, G may be generated by k = k1 + ... + kn elements, and |G| = |Q1| × ... × |Qn| ≥ 2k1 + ... + kn = 2k. Thus if |G| < 1000, then k < 10.

Hopefully I haven't done something completely wrong; it's been a while since I've done any group theory. Not to mention that the classification of finite simple groups is a large blunt object that is probably not necessary to prove it.[/STRIKE]

Yeah, the classification of finite simple groups was completely unnecessary; here's an elementary proof. Let G be a finite group, and let {g1, ..., gn} be a minimal set of generators for G. For 0 ≤ i ≤ n, let Hi be the subgroup of G generated by {g1, ..., gi}. Then 1 = H0 ⊂ ... ⊂ Hn = G, and all the inclusions are proper because the generating set is minimal. (If Hi = Hi-1, then gi is in Hi-1, which makes gi redundant, contradicting minimality.) Now note that by Lagrange's theorem, |Hi| ≥ 2|Hi-1| for 0 < i ≤ n, so that |G| = |Hn| ≥ 2n|H0| = 2n.

Last edited:
Ah yes I see, thanks a lot.

Rewording the idea a bit, it can be stated as shortly as:

Every finite group Gi+1 generated by Gi and one additional element gi+1 ∉ Gi has at least twice the number of elements that Gi has, because it contains both Gi and gi+1Gi. Take G1 = ⟨g1⟩, with g1 ≠ 1, then |G1| ≥ 2 and |G10| ≥ 1024.

So a group with less than 1000 elements cannot need more than 9 generators.

Related to Number of generators of finite group

1. What is the definition of the number of generators of a finite group?

The number of generators of a finite group is the minimum number of elements needed to generate the entire group. These elements are also known as generators or generating sets.

2. How is the number of generators related to the order of a finite group?

The number of generators of a finite group is always less than or equal to the order of the group. In fact, if a group has n elements, then it can have at most n-1 generators.

3. Can a finite group have more than one generating set with the same number of elements?

Yes, a finite group can have multiple generating sets with the same number of elements. For example, the cyclic group of order 4 has two generating sets, {1, 3} and {1, 2}.

4. Is there a relationship between the number of generators and the structure of a finite group?

Yes, there are some general results that relate the number of generators to the structure of a finite group. For example, if a group is cyclic, then it can be generated by a single element, whereas if a group is non-cyclic, it will require more than one generator.

5. How is the number of generators of a finite group useful in group theory?

The number of generators of a finite group is a fundamental property that can help classify and understand different types of groups. It can also be used to prove theorems and make predictions about the structure and behavior of groups.