Number of galaxies by type, today

In summary, the conversation discussed the desire for information on the percentage of galaxies in the visible universe categorized by Hubble type. It was noted that this information is difficult to obtain due to the challenges of observing distant galaxies and the bias towards bright galaxies. While there are some estimates available, they may not be entirely accurate.
Barnak
I'm looking for reliable informations about the % numbers of galaxies in the whole visible universe, by Hubble type (S, SB, S0, E, Irr), for a T0 time slice (i.e. today).

Of course, looking far away into space means we're also looking far away into the past, so distant galactic populations (by type) isn't the same over there, as what we find over here. For consistency, I want to know the best (i.e. most accurate) % evaluation of galaxies at our universal epoch.

On my side, I was able to estimate the following % numbers, and I need a confirmation :

For all galaxies located at a distance < 100 MLY (about 2100 galaxies) :
Irr : ~ 20%
E : ~ 10%
S0 : ~ 20%
S : ~ 20%
SB : ~ 30%

So can I assume that these percentages are the same everywhere (at the same universal time) ?

Any data on this ?

Space news on Phys.org
Barnak said:
I'm looking for reliable informations about the % numbers of galaxies in the whole visible universe, by Hubble type (S, SB, S0, E, Irr), for a T0 time slice (i.e. today).

Of course, looking far away into space means we're also looking far away into the past, so distant galactic populations (by type) isn't the same over there, as what we find over here. For consistency, I want to know the best (i.e. most accurate) % evaluation of galaxies at our universal epoch.

On my side, I was able to estimate the following % numbers, and I need a confirmation :

For all galaxies located at a distance < 100 MLY (about 2100 galaxies) :
Irr : ~ 20%
E : ~ 10%
S0 : ~ 20%
S : ~ 20%
SB : ~ 30%

So can I assume that these percentages are the same everywhere (at the same universal time) ?

Any data on this ?

Wiki says there are 80 billion galaxies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe.

This may all so interest you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Zoo

Thanks for the relpy. But apparently, there isn't much info about galactic types (E, S0, S, SB, Irr) and population today from your links.

Barnak said:
So can I assume that these percentages are the same everywhere (at the same universal time)

It's probably the best one can do. Looking out, we see (obviously) younger galaxies, so we would have to somehow model their evolution. But worse, we see a biased sample - we see bright galaxies. So we would have to correct twice - and what are these corrections based on? Right - nearby galaxies. So you might as well save yourself the trouble and just look at near galaxies from the get-go.

Discerning the morphology of galaxies beyond Z~1 is problematic. As noted by other posters, large, bright galaxies dominate the population of those observable - which obviously skews the sample. LEDA has the most complete listing available. It is interesting to extrapolate the sample population based on local distributions, but, clearly unreliable. It is highly probable young, small, irregular galaxies were extremely abundant in the early universe.

Last edited:

Related to Number of galaxies by type, today

What is the total number of galaxies in the universe?

The current estimate for the total number of galaxies in the observable universe is around 2 trillion, although this number may be much higher due to the vastness of the universe and limitations in technology.

How many types of galaxies are there?

There are three main types of galaxies: spiral, elliptical, and irregular. However, there are also subcategories within each type, resulting in a total of around 8-10 types of galaxies.

Which type of galaxy is the most common?

Spiral galaxies are the most common type, making up around 77% of all observed galaxies. Elliptical galaxies are the second most common, comprising about 15%, while irregular galaxies make up the remaining 8%.

Are the number of galaxies constant or changing over time?

The number of galaxies in the universe is constantly changing as new galaxies are formed and others merge or disappear. However, the rate at which this occurs is relatively slow, so the overall number of galaxies in the observable universe remains relatively constant.

How do scientists estimate the number of galaxies in the universe?

Scientists use advanced telescopes and imaging techniques to observe and count galaxies in a given area of the universe. They then use statistical methods to estimate the total number of galaxies based on the observed data. As technology and techniques improve, the estimated number of galaxies may change.