Number of Events Detected (Neutrino Collisions)

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the number of neutrino events in 3000 metric tonnes of pure water, given a time of 10 seconds, energy of 10 MeV, and an electron cross section of 10^-47 m^2. The participant suggests finding the rate of electron scattering by neutrino collisions and calculating the probability and total number of electrons in the detector. They also discuss using the integrated luminosity and the total number of electrons in 3,000,000,000 grams of water to calculate the number of events.
gradivcurl

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,

So I am asked to detect the number of neutrino events that occur from them entering 3000 metric tonnes of pure water. I am given that t=10s , E(neutrino)=10MeV and that the electron cross section is 10^-47 m^2 . This was the famous neutrino experiment at Kamiokande for the explosion of SN 1987a. I also know the neutrino flux on Earth due to this event ~ 4x10^13 s^-1m^-2.

Any help starting off this problem is appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to find the rate at which electrons are scattered by neutrino collisions in the water . So the reaction is just ν+e-→v+e-.

I'm guessing that the number of events E detected will be E = collisional frequency * elapsed time

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
gradivcurl said:
I'm guessing that the number of events E detected will be E = collisional frequency * elapsed time
Right.

How are event rates and cross-sections related?
Can you calculate the probability that a single electrons takes part in a reaction, and the total number of electrons in the detector?

So the number of events will be N = σLt , where σ is the neutrino-electron cross section , L is the integrated luminosity, and t =10s ? The total number of electrons in one molecule of h20 is 10. So in 3,000,000,000g of water we have # electrons = (mass of water * Avogadro's number* 10 electrons) / molar mass of H20

If you take L as integrated luminosity, then it includes the 10 seconds already.
N is the number of events per electron?
Looks good.

Related to Number of Events Detected (Neutrino Collisions)

1. What is the significance of the Number of Events Detected in neutrino collisions?

The Number of Events Detected (NED) is an important measure in neutrino collision experiments as it represents the number of interactions between neutrinos and other particles. This information can help researchers understand the behavior and properties of neutrinos, which can provide insights into the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

2. How is the Number of Events Detected calculated in neutrino collision experiments?

The NED is calculated by counting the number of signals or interactions recorded by detectors in an experiment. Neutrino collisions produce different types of signals depending on the energy and type of neutrino involved. By analyzing these signals, scientists can determine the number of events and use this data to make inferences about the nature of neutrinos.

3. What factors can affect the Number of Events Detected in neutrino collision experiments?

There are several factors that can impact the NED in neutrino collision experiments. These include the energy and type of neutrino being studied, the size and sensitivity of the detectors, and the distance between the source of neutrinos and the detectors. Other factors such as background noise and experimental errors can also influence the NED.

4. How does the Number of Events Detected in neutrino collisions compare to other types of particle collisions?

Neutrinos are known to be elusive particles, and as a result, the NED in neutrino collisions is typically much lower compared to other types of particle collisions. For example, in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) experiments, which study proton collisions, the number of events detected can be in the millions, while in neutrino collision experiments, it may only be a few hundred or even less.

5. How can the Number of Events Detected in neutrino collisions help in understanding the properties of neutrinos?

By studying the NED in neutrino collision experiments, scientists can gather information about the properties of neutrinos, such as their mass, spin, and interaction strengths. These data can then be compared to predictions from theories and models, helping to improve our understanding of the fundamental nature of these elusive particles.