Number of elements of the field

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving finite fields and their subsets. It shows that the sets $F^2$ and $t-F^2$ have the same cardinality, and that the equation $x^2+y^2+z^2=0$ has a non-trivial solution in $F$. It also uses the pidgeonhole principle to prove that the sets have the same cardinality.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $p$ an odd prime and $F=F_{p^n}$ the finite field with $p^n$ elements.

1. Show that the set $F^2=\{a^2, a \in F\}$ has $\frac{p^n+1}{2}$ elements. Conclude that , if $t \in F$ the set $t-F^2=\{t-a^2, a \in F\}$ has $\frac{p^n+1}{2}$ elements.
2. For $t \in F$ show taht the set $F^2 \cap (t-F^2)$ is non-empty and conclude that each element $c$ of $F$ can be written in the form $c=a^2+b^2, a, b \in F$.
3. Show that the equation $x^2+y^2+z^2=0$ has a non-trivial solution in $F$.
I have done the following:

1. $a^2 \in F^2 \Rightarrow a, -a \in F$

That means that $F^2$ contains the half of the elements of $F\setminus \{0\}$, and the element $0$.
So, the number of elements of $F^2$ is $\frac{p^n-1}{2}+1=\frac{p^n-1+2}{2}=\frac{p^n+1}{2}$.

Is this correct?? (Wondering)

How can I show that conclude that if $t \in F$ the set $t-F^2=\{t-a^2, a \in F\}$ has $\frac{p^n+1}{2}$ elements??

2. Let $x \in F^2 \cap (t-F^2) \Rightarrow x=F^2 \text{ AND } x \in t-F^2 \\ \Rightarrow x=a^2, a \in F \text{ AND } x=t-a^2, t, a \in F$

How can I continue?? (Wondering)

3. We set $z=1$, then we have the equation $x^2+y^2+1=0 \Rightarrow x^2=-1-y^2$.

Does $-1 \in F$ ?? (Wondering)

Then we could use the question $2.$, right?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

1. Is correct

In 2. you haven't proved that the intersection is non-epmty, but it's just the pidgeonhole principle.

For the other question, if $F^{2}\cap (t-F^{2})$ is non empty, then there exists some $b,c \in F$ such that $b^{2}=t-c^{2}$, and this holds for every $t\in F$

In 3. Yes, $-1\in F$ becaus is the inverse with respect to the addition of the neutral element with respect to the multiplication.

And now by 2. you got it

Fallen Angel said:
Hi,

1. Is correct

In 2. you haven't proved that the intersection is non-epmty, but it's just the pidgeonhole principle.

For the other question, if $F^{2}\cap (t-F^{2})$ is non empty, then there exists some $b,c \in F$ such that $b^{2}=t-c^{2}$, and this holds for every $t\in F$

In 3. Yes, $-1\in F$ becaus is the inverse with respect to the addition of the neutral element with respect to the multiplication.

And now by 2. you got it

1. How can I show that conclude that if $t \in F$ the set $t-F^2=\{t-a^2, a \in F\}$ has $\frac{p^n+1}{2}$ elements??

2. How can I show that the intersection is non-empty?? (Wondering)

3. We set $z=1$, then we have the equation $x^2+y^2+1=0 \Rightarrow x^2=-1-y^2$.

$-1 \in F$

By $2.$ we have that $c=a^2+b^2, a,b,c \in F \Rightarrow a^2=c-b^2$

For $a^2=x^2, c=-1, b^2=y^2$ we have that $x^2=-1-y^2$.

But how can we justify that the equation has a non-trivial solution in $F$ ?? (Wondering)

Hi,

1. The set $t-F^{2}$ it's just a traslation of $F^{2}$ so it has the same cardinality

2.I told you to use the pidgeonhole principle, you have two sets of $\frac{p^{n}+1}{2}$ elements contained in a set of $p^{n}$ elements, so ...

3.Since you have a solution with $z=1$ (by 2.) the solution is non trivial

Fallen Angel said:
1. The set $t-F^{2}$ it's just a traslation of $F^{2}$ so it has the same cardinality

Ok! (Smile)
Fallen Angel said:
2.I told you to use the pidgeonhole principle, you have two sets of $\frac{p^{n}+1}{2}$ elements contained in a set of $p^{n}$ elements, so ...

Do you mean that $F^2 \subseteq F$ and $t-F^2 \subseteq F$ ?? (Wondering)
Fallen Angel said:
3.Since you have a solution with $z=1$ (by 2.) the solution is non trivial

And is the way I formulated it correct?? (Wondering)

We set $z=1$, then we have the equation $x^2+y^2+1=0 \Rightarrow x^2=−1−y^2$.

$−1 \in F$

By $2.$ we have that $c=a^2+b^2,a,b,c \in F⇒a^2=c−b^2$

For $a^2=x^2,c=−1,b^2=y^2$ we have that $x^2=−1−y^2$.

Or could I improve something?? (Wondering)

I'm a little dubious about your proof of 1. Where do you use the fact that p is odd? For p=2, $F^2=F$. So I think you need to expand your proof.

For 2, as was pointed out, if A is any subset of an additive group, then the cardinality of $t-A=\{t-a:a\in A\}$ is the same as the cardinality of A. (You can easily define a one to one function from A to t-A.) So suppose $(t-F^2)\cap F^2$ is empty. Then $p^{n+1}=2\,{p^n+1\over 2}=|t-F^2|+|F^2|=|(t-F^2)\cup F^2|\leq p^n$, a contradiction. (The last inequality since $(t-F^2)\cup F^2\subseteq F$)

mathmari said:
Do you mean that $F^2 \subseteq F$ and $t-F^2 \subseteq F$ ?? (Wondering)
Yes
mathmari said:
And is the way I formulated it correct?? (Wondering)

Or could I improve something?? (Wondering)

It's ok

johng said:
I'm a little dubious about your proof of 1. Where do you use the fact that p is odd? For p=2, $F^2=F$. So I think you need to expand your proof.

How could I expand the proof?? (Wondering)
johng said:
For 2, as was pointed out, if A is any subset of an additive group, then the cardinality of $t-A=\{t-a:a\in A\}$ is the same as the cardinality of A. (You can easily define a one to one function from A to t-A.)

So, to show that $A$ and $t-A$ have the same cardinality do we have to show that this function is $1-1$ and onto?? (Wondering)
johng said:
So suppose $(t-F^2)\cap F^2$ is empty. Then $p^{n+1}=2\,{p^n+1\over 2}=|t-F^2|+|F^2|=|(t-F^2)\cup F^2|\leq p^n$, a contradiction. (The last inequality since $(t-F^2)\cup F^2\subseteq F$)

When we suppose that $(t-F^2)\cap F^2$ is empty, does it mean that $|(t-F^2)\cap F^2|=|t-F^2|+|F^2|$ ?? (Wondering)

Also, why does it stand that $(t-F^2)\cup F^2\subseteq F$ ?? (Wondering)

25alpnt.jpg

9tfqs3.png

Related to Number of elements of the field

1. What is the definition of "Number of elements of the field"?

The number of elements of the field refers to the total count of distinct objects or entities that make up the field. These objects can be physical, such as atoms or molecules, or abstract, such as mathematical values or symbols.

2. How is the number of elements of the field determined?

The number of elements of the field is typically determined by counting all the individual objects or entities within the field. In some cases, it may also be calculated mathematically using equations or formulas.

3. Can the number of elements of the field change?

Yes, the number of elements of the field can change depending on various factors. For example, in a chemical reaction, the number of elements present in the reactants may differ from the products, thus changing the total number of elements in the field.

4. How does the number of elements of the field relate to its size or scope?

The number of elements of the field does not necessarily reflect its size or scope. A field with a large number of elements does not necessarily have a larger size or scope than a field with a smaller number of elements. The size and scope of a field are determined by other factors, such as the properties and interactions of its elements.

5. Why is the number of elements of the field important to study?

The number of elements of the field is important to study as it provides insights into the characteristics and behavior of the field. By understanding the number of elements and how they interact, scientists can make predictions and develop theories about the field, which can have practical applications in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and mathematics.