Do you believe in god? and why

• Thread starter DR OF DEATH
  • Start date
God. It's simply not possible. It's like saying someone will eventually be compelled by experience to believe the earth is at the center of the universe.
Originally posted by maximus
to believe is to accept as a truth without requiring proof. there is nothing anyone can say that will make you believe. i personally believe in nothing... observable truth is the path of my understanding.

However, to limit ones beliefs to only that which can be proven is to exclude all truths that cannot be proven.

To do so is to "assume without proof" that no truths exist that cannot be proven. Your philosophy appear inconsistent.

What percentage of absolute truth can be proven beyond all doubt? Zero. This is why I argue that pure logic, if restricted by the artificial constraints of science, leads one inexorably to a religion of nothing. This entire philosophy fails by definition because science does not even address the question of God, or the supernatural, or any claims lacking specific forms of physical evidence; nor can science preclude the existence of these claims or beliefs any more than I can prove that I love my wife.[Edit]...although flowers do help :wink:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
However, to limit ones beliefs to only that which can be proven is to exclude all truths that cannot be proven.

To do so is to "assume without proof" that no truths exist that cannot be proven. Your philosophy appear inconsistent.

:wink:

i have no problem with speculation.

i have no problem with speculation.
What's speculation ?
Sounds like a believe synonym to me.:wink:

I believe in God since I know Him and talk to Him. I can visibly see Him work in my life. I can visibly see His effect on other lives. It becomes obvious to me however that words alone will not reach any of you. I can only pray that you find Him before you die.

Originally posted by Singularity
I believe in God since I know Him and talk to Him. I can visibly see Him work in my life. I can visibly see His effect on other lives. It becomes obvious to me however that words alone will not reach any of you. I can only pray that you find Him before you die.

This is quite disturbing. Singularity, perhaps you have a psychological disorder that's un-diagnosed? At any yet, if you're seeing things, your health is in jeapordy.

Originally posted by LogicalAtheist
This is quite disturbing. Singularity, perhaps you have a psychological disorder that's un-diagnosed? At any yet, if you're seeing things, your health is in jeapordy.

LA,

Apparently, you did not understand his assertion. He said that he sees "his work", not "him". He most probably refers to his witnessing of unexpected or unlikely help in times of need, both on his life's and on others'.

OTOH, if you did understand, then your post is way out of order, since it contributes nothing to the discussion and tries to mock another member. Which cannot be tolerated on the forums. I hope that is not the case.

Hey, female discrimination !

Originally posted by drag
Hey, female discrimination !

Based on the principle of superposition, I think both terms correctly apply - him and her. The same problem exists with the Trinity; Him? They? What's in a name?

It is interesting that Quantum Cosmologists claim that we can't collapse the wavefunction of the universe. Is this the analog to the problem of defining God?

Didn't mean to upset you LA, just stating the facts :smile: I futhermore don't mean any discrimination toward anyone. I is just a term I am familiar with.
P.S. Didn't think my post would cause such a stir!

i personally believe in nothing...

Nothing does not exist, so how can you believe in it?

Perhaps you meant to say, I do not believe.

i would agrue that the changes in your life are being acted through yourself, and that an outer force has no part in it. a sort of dilusional placibo effect. if it helps you, all the better, but as for me i cannot accept such a thing. all the beauty i can ever want i find in the very universe i live in. i need no greater being to fill in the gaps.
(and i thank you humbly for your empty prayers)

God must exist because in the end we have no other choice but to believe our life here is divine. Although, God is not really the point. The point is that you believe.

Anyway, Godel has proved mathematically that any system of mathematics must always be either inconsistent or incomplete. There you have it folks.

Originally posted by AndersHermansson
God must exist because in the end we have no other choice but to believe our life here is divine. Although, God is not really the point. The point is that you believe.

why must i believe my life here is divine?

Originally posted by AndersHermansson

"And here we are stuck on this mud ball called the third planet of the Sun, in the Orion arm of a minor galaxy, in the backwash of the Virgo super-cluster, thinking that we are Nature’s greatest creation… that we are God’s gift to humanity… that our science is the greatest of all science and our art is the greatest of all art, when in fact there is a whole universe out there…"

Kaku