If I drop a vibrating 440 Hz tuning fork down the elevator shaft

In summary, dropping a vibrating tuning fork down an elevator shaft of a tall building can allow you to determine the distance it has fallen by using the frequency and velocity of the fork, as well as taking into account factors such as air resistance. While there may not be concrete "proof" in the scientific sense, this method can provide a reliable estimation.
david90
if I drop a vibrating 440 Hz tuning fork down the elevator shaft of a tall building and when I hear a freq. of 400 Hz, is it possible to determine how far has the tuning fork fallen? My friend said yes but I think no. Am i right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yep. You can use the frequency to find the velocity (via the Doppler effect) and the velocity to find the time in gravitational free fall and thus the distance. (Neglecting air resistance and so on in normal physical fashion.)

- Warren

u have proof of that?

Proof? I'm afraid the scientific definition of the word 'proof' doesn't apply here.

- Warren

The Doppler shift here is given by freq0*vs / (vs+vfork) where vs~345 m/s, the speed of sound. so 400/440 = 345/(345+vfork).

Then you use distance=vfork^2/19.6

Actually due to time delay for sound to get to you it is not h(v)=(v2/2g) but h(v)=(v2/2g)(1+v/2c)2

1. What will happen if I drop a vibrating 440 Hz tuning fork down the elevator shaft?

When you drop a vibrating 440 Hz tuning fork down an elevator shaft, it will continue to vibrate at the same frequency until it reaches the bottom. The sound waves produced by the tuning fork will travel down the shaft and reflect off the walls, creating an echo effect.

2. Will the frequency of the tuning fork change as it falls down the elevator shaft?

No, the frequency of the tuning fork will remain constant as it falls down the elevator shaft. This is because the frequency of a tuning fork is determined by the length and stiffness of its tines, which will not change during its fall.

3. How will the sound of the tuning fork change as it falls down the elevator shaft?

The sound of the tuning fork will become quieter and more muffled as it falls down the elevator shaft, due to the sound waves being absorbed by the walls of the shaft. This effect is similar to shouting into a tunnel.

4. Will the pitch of the tuning fork sound different at the bottom of the elevator shaft compared to the top?

The pitch of the tuning fork will remain the same at the bottom of the elevator shaft as it was at the top. However, due to the changing acoustics of the shaft, the sound may appear slightly different to our ears.

5. Why does the tuning fork continue to vibrate as it falls down the elevator shaft?

The tuning fork continues to vibrate due to its inertia. Once the tuning fork is set in motion, it will continue to vibrate until an external force, such as air resistance or the impact at the bottom of the shaft, stops it.