Number of balloons filled from a tank of helium

In summary: Boyle's law, ideal gas lawIn summary, Homework Equations states that when two gas volumes are placed in direct proportion to each other, the pressure in the system is maintained. If you remove a fixed number of molecules of helium from a tank of gas at a set temperature, the pressure in the tank will decrease. However, if the helium is removed at a higher temperature, the pressure in the tank may not be able to decrease any further.
Mitch_11

Homework Statement

How many 3L balloons can you fill from a 20L tank of helium at a pressure of 14.4atm.

Homework Equations

Boyle's Law: [tex]P_{1}V_{1}=P_{2}V_{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{14.4atm\times20L}{1atm}=V_{2}[/tex]

I then divided the answer to thank by 3 to get the amount of balloons. However my teacher has said this is incorrect. He said there is a small 'nuance' in the problem that must be considered. The only thing I can think of is to increase the initial pressure by 1 as the gauge may not have added atmospheric pressure to the reading. I am just wondering if this is correct or if there is something I have overlooked.

Thanks for any assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you fill one balloon, the pressure in the tank drops.

The answer i get is eighty nine.

What equation did you use to work that out?

First of all, Boyle's Law only holds for a given fixed quantity of gas. Here, this is not so. You should use the full ideal gas Law (Clapeyron's formula):

[tex]
P V = N k T
[/tex]

where N is the number of molecules in the gas, T is the absolute temperature and k is the Boltzmann constant.

From here, I worked out how many molecules of helium are there in helium baloon at a given temperature (in symbolic form). Obviously, for x such baloons, you would need x times more molecules. Although you do not know T, it cancels in the final result.

Then, I worked out how the pressure in the tank would change if we removed that number of molecules at the same temperature. The pressure can drop from the original value only to the pressure in the balloon. You cannot inflate a balloon with a tank at pressure lower than the required one. The result should follow from here.

Ok I understand now. Thank you for explaining that.

Dickfore said:
[tex]
P V = N k T
[/tex]

That's not incorrect, but I prefer

[tex]P V = n R T[/tex]

for practical reasons - you can easily find R in any units you need, while k is usually expressed in J/K, and number of moles is usually much easier to work with then the number of atoms (even if these are easily interconverted).

Ok. Here is what I did.

First, as you said, I worked out the number of moles of helium needed to fill each balloon to 3L. Assuming that 1 mole is 24.47L at 25oC (298K) I calculated that each balloon needs 0.12moles of gas to fill it.

I then used [tex]PV=nRT[/tex] to work out that there are 11.8 moles of gas in the cylinder.

From here I worked worked out the amount of moles needed to keep the cylinder above 1atm, therefore still allowing helium to go into the balloon. I worked this out to be 0.8 moles.

I then subtracted 0.8 from 11.8 to get the number of moles that will go into the balloons. I then divided this by 0.12 to work out how many balloons could be filled.

My answer worked out to be 91 (rounded). If I have gone about this the wrong way and just got the answer from luck, could you please show where I have gone wrong.

Thanks

You are not given temperature and in fact it is irrelevant here. All we have to do is to assume that both balloons and tank have exactly the same pressure.

You were right about using Boyle's law, and you were right you have to calculate volume of the gas after decompression. However, you have failed to see that gas after decompression has to fill not only balloons - 20L have to stay in the tank!

And IMHO 89 is not a correct answer, that's another nuance :wink:

--
methods

Related to Number of balloons filled from a tank of helium

What factors affect the number of balloons that can be filled from a tank of helium?

The number of balloons that can be filled from a tank of helium depends on the size of the tank, the size of the balloons, and the pressure at which the tank is filled.

How much helium is typically in a tank used for filling balloons?

A standard helium tank used for filling balloons typically contains around 14.9 cubic feet of helium. However, this can vary depending on the type and size of the tank.

How many balloons can be filled from a standard helium tank?

On average, a standard helium tank can fill approximately 50-100 balloons depending on their size and the pressure at which the tank is filled. This may vary slightly between manufacturers and types of tanks.

What is the pressure used to fill balloons with helium?

The pressure used to fill balloons with helium can vary, but it is typically around 10-15 pounds per square inch (psi). This pressure helps to ensure that the balloons are filled to their optimal size and do not pop.

How long will a tank of helium last when filling balloons?

The duration of a tank of helium when filling balloons can vary depending on the size of the tank, the size of the balloons, and the pressure at which the tank is filled. On average, a standard tank can last for approximately 2-3 hours of continuous use.