Number of amplitudes in one wave cycle

In summary: Draw and follow the displacement progress of one cycle:The displacement progress is shown in the following diagram. The wave starts at the bottom-left corner and moves to the top-right corner. The displacement progresses 2 amplitudes during one cycle.
rasen58

Homework Statement

During one complete cycle, a wave moves through ___ wavelength, ___ period, __ amplitudes

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I got 1 wavelength, 1 period, and 2 amplitudes
But apparently the answer is 1 wavelength, 1 period, and 4 amplitudes
But I don't see how that's true. The answer even says that 2 is a common mistake, but doesn't really explain why.
If in one cycle, the wave starts at the x-axis, goes up, gown down, and returns on the x-axis, wouldn't that only be 2 amplitudes?

Physics news on Phys.org
rasen58 said:

Homework Statement

During one complete cycle, a wave moves through ___ wavelength, ___ period, __ amplitudes

Homework Equations

But I don't see how that's true. The answer even says that 2 is a common mistake, but doesn't really explain why.
If in one cycle, the wave starts at the x-axis, goes up, gown down, and returns on the x-axis, wouldn't that only be 2 amplitudes?
I think the problem text is quite wrong. The wave does not move through any amplitude, as its traveling motion is not the same as the displacement during oscillation.
You are right the wave reaches maximal deviation from the equilibrium position during a whole period/wavelength, once in the positive, once in the negative direction. Perhaps the problem writer thought to the answer "1 amplitude" as common mistake.

I have never heard "move through its amplitude" before. The amplitude of a wave is a value, giving the maximal value of whatever is oscillating in the wave. How can a way "move through 20 V/m"?
Anyway, 4 is a weird answer and I would expect 2 as answer. The author might have thought of a mechanical wave and counted times of maximal position and velocity separately.

The author may have been thinking in terms of the motion of a mass in a mass-spring system. During one cycle the total distance (path length) traveled by the mass is then 4 times the amplitude.

Likes mfb and rasen58
Hi sorry to bump this old thread but I don't understand how a mass-spring system allows for 4 amplitudes in a cycle.

Can any kind soul help me out?
gneill said:
The author may have been thinking in terms of the motion of a mass in a mass-spring system. During one cycle the total distance (path length) traveled by the mass is then 4 times the amplitude.

From "plus 1 amplitude" to "minus 1 amplitude" and back, in total 2*2=4 times the amplitude as motion.

PhysicsCurious said:
Hi sorry to bump this old thread but I don't understand how a mass-spring system allows for 4 amplitudes in a cycle.

Can any kind soul help me out?

Draw and follow the displacement progress of one cycle:

Fig1.png

Likes hemangnehra
Thanks people! I just realized it meant the distance that the spring has moved in terms of amplitude instead of how many amplitudes it has reached.

rasen58 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Barron's ?...that's why I came here

The phrasing of the original question doesn't really make sense. For example, the amplitude is the maximum displacement of the particles (or whatever else is "waving") in a wave from some equilibrium position. The wave can't be said to "move through" the amplitude. The amplitude is just a number - usually with some kind of appropriate units depending on what is waving.

Related to Number of amplitudes in one wave cycle

1. What is the definition of amplitude in a wave cycle?

Amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave from its rest position. In other words, it is the height of the wave from the baseline to the peak or trough.

2. How many amplitudes are there in one complete wave cycle?

There is only one amplitude in a complete wave cycle. This is because the amplitude remains constant throughout the entire cycle, regardless of how many peaks and troughs it has.

3. Can the amplitude of a wave change during its cycle?

No, the amplitude of a wave is a characteristic property of the wave and does not change during its cycle. However, the amplitude of a wave can vary between different waves.

4. How is amplitude related to the energy of a wave?

The amplitude of a wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that a higher amplitude corresponds to a higher energy wave, while a lower amplitude corresponds to a lower energy wave.

5. What is the unit of measurement for amplitude?

The unit of measurement for amplitude depends on the type of wave being measured. For example, sound waves are measured in decibels (dB) while electromagnetic waves are measured in volts (V) or meters (m).