Is the person on Xelia the same as the one who stepped into the transporter?

• Thread starter phoenixy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of personal identity in relation to the use of a transporter in the Star Trek universe. While Locke's view is that a body can contain multiple personalities, only one can be "active" at a time and the transition occurs when the body loses the stream of consciousness. However, in the scenario presented, the person does not lose consciousness during the transport and remembers their mission before and after. This suggests that Locke would consider the person on Planet Xelia to be the same person as the one who stepped into the transporter on the starship. The conversation also touches on the idea of cloning and how it relates to the concept of personal identity.
phoenixy
Image you are a character on Star Trek. On the starship you step into the transporter. The machine breaks down your body, and then causes the matter on Planet Xelia to become organized into a body just like yours. That person then remembers what you did before getting in the transporter and sets about pursuing your mission of gathering samples and exploring the new planet. Would Locke say that person on Xelia is same person as you?

You can check out Locke's view regarding personal identity here
http://www.ilt.columbia.edu/publications/Projects/digitexts/locke/understanding/chapter0227.html [Broken]

What's your personal opinion(regardless of Locke)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my own opinion to the question above

Personally, I believe Locke will believe that it's the same person. From what I understand, Locke believe a body can contain several different personalities, all independent from each other. However, only one can be "active" at a time, and the transition occurs only when the body lost the stream of conscious(ie. drunk, sleep, knock out)

From the question, we can conclude that the StarTrek member did not lose the stream of conscious, because as far as I know, the transporter teleports instantly. The person remembers his/her objective before and after the teleportation, so whatever personality governs him/her at the time is not interrupted. S/he is still ther same person before and after.

If we ignore Locke's point of view, then this becomes an open question. I can't think of any new ideas that support or disprove Locke's view(theoretically, since my understanding of Locke's idea might be insufficient/wrong). Any taker?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would liken transporting to cloning. If you create a clone of yourself, and you erased the part of the memory where the cloning occured, the clone would never know he was a clone. Furthermore, if you didn't erase the memory, and the clone knew what happened he wouldn't know if he was the clone, or the other you was. So at the moment of transport, all your memories, feelings, thoughts, and personality are transferred to your "new self" At that moment your "old self" at the starting point dies, and a "new self" is created. It all appears seamless to the observer, but the original self ceases to exist. It doesn't appear to be so, because you've in essence, been cloned. However in a sense, you die and are reborn when you go through the transporter. So if you're the original person who has never gone through the teleporter, you actually die the first time you use one. To the original person, that is the end of their existence. From then on, all the other "you's" are just copies.

At least that's how it would seem to me.

We need to consult a StarTrek fan on this question: how exactly does the transporter work? Were there any cases/episode where transporter malfunctioning causes mental alteration?

I'm aware that in one episode a crew member wasn't reconstruct fully and she ended up dead. But I'm only interesting in mental(mind), not physical state(body).

actually, there was a whole episode in TNG on transporter psychosis but i forget the details.

I did a little research. It seems like beside one episode in which Cap Kirk is splitted(Evil/good twin), there are't any other episode where usage of transporter causes alteration of mind

transporter teleports material(life/inanimate) by converting the object into energy, then beam the energy to the destinated location. So I guess the clone theory is more portable in the scientific world.

But according to Locke, a person is defined by his personalties. Thus if they are transferred to another body and aren't alter in anyway, it's still the same person.

1. What is the connection between Locke and Star Trek?

John Locke, a philosopher from the 17th century, has influenced many aspects of Star Trek, including the concept of human rights and the prime directive.

2. How does Locke's philosophy relate to the prime directive in Star Trek?

The prime directive, which prohibits interference with the development of less advanced civilizations, is reflective of Locke's belief in the natural rights of individuals and the importance of non-interference in their lives.

3. Did any specific quotes from Locke appear in Star Trek?

Yes, in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The First Duty", Captain Picard quotes Locke's famous phrase "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" when discussing Wesley Crusher's actions.

4. How has Star Trek portrayed the concept of human rights influenced by Locke?

Star Trek often depicts the struggle for equality and the protection of individual rights, mirroring Locke's belief in the natural rights of individuals and the importance of a just society.

5. Has Locke's philosophy influenced any characters in Star Trek?

Yes, Captain Jean-Luc Picard is often seen as embodying Locke's principles, such as rationality, moral responsibility, and respect for individual rights.