All-Time Fave Movie Scene: "Metropolis" by Fritz Lang

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary: Here are a few of my faves, in no particular order:- The "Call It" scene in No Country For Old Men. You know the one. It is a great understatement to say that Javier Bardem did an excellent job with his character.- The first time we see the T-1000 running in Terminator 2. This is the moment when we realize that Arnold is not the only (or even the biggest) threat in the movie.- The final scene in Unforgiven, where William Munny is riding back to his farm after completing his last job. When he tells his children that he killed women and children, and his daughter asks why he did it, his reply
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is your all time favorite movie scene?

I happened to think of this when thinking about the songs thread.

At least several of my all time favorite movie scenes were in Metropolis by Fritz Lang; and "reconstructed" by Georgio Moroder. One is where the evil robot "Hell" seduces the crowd of leering, drunken men...great stuff! Also, the burning of Hell was great!

http://www.kino.com/metropolis/

http://www.persocom.com.br/brasilia/metropo.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
*Be warned! Return of the King spoiler herein.

This being a quick reply, I would need several days to think about that. However, my favourite scene from a recent movie definitely is the scene where Aragorn is crowned king in the Return of the King. The part where Aragorn says "You bow to no-one" to the hobbits followed by the whole of the Gondorian crowd bowing to Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin took me completely by surprise.

The scene where Amelie (in the same named movie) opens the door to run after a guy, who she secretly likes, who just walked away from her apartment. She almost runs into him when he is still standing there.

Without ever having said a word to him (in adulthood) (they used to shine mirrors to each other as small kids from their bedroom window), she pulls him into her apartment and closes the door. She indicates silence by bringing her indexfinger to the mouth.

Then, *how romantic*, she first kisses the right corner of his mouth, then left below his ear and then his right eye lash. She then without a word asks him to do the same ritual..

After which a cat comes into view, whose eyes are melting with sight of the display, ahhhh! Sounds like a cheap romance book, but is actually great cinematography.

Very tough choice, between these four:

Peter O'Toole strutting across the top of the wrecked Turkish train to music in "Lawrence of Arabia"

The scene in "Pulp Fiction" in which Sam Jackson terrorizes the young guys who betrayed Marcellus Wallace.

In "High Noon", when Gary Cooper is about to be gunned down by one of the villain's henchman, but his quaker wife shoots the guy in the back with a shotgun.

In "The Producers", the opening scene of the play "Springtime for Hitler", just the epitome of bad taste, and the horrified reaction of the audience.

Something that I noticed about the scene from "Pulp Fiction" was that it had no music. Every other memorable scene I considered had a very powerful musical element. So I guess I'll choose that one, just because it is different.

Njorl

In no particular order:

1)"Luke, I am your father."

2) "Adrianne!"

3 "Say hello to my little friend"

4) The first time you see the creature in Alien

Excellent idea for a thread, Ivan.

I don't know that I can think of an exact favorite, but here are some of the ones I really liked:

(In no particular order)

1) The gunfight at the end of "Equilibrium".
2) The fight between Agent Smith and Neo at the end of "The Matrix" (in the subway, that is).
3) When Beevis turns into "Cornholio" in the White House (from "Beevis and Butt-head do America")
4) Nightcrawler's attack on the President, at the beginning of X2.

Last edited:
Resevoir Dogs, where he is torturing the cop just before he is about to set fire to him. Brilliant.

1.) Flirting scene between Bogart and Lauren Bacall in To Have And Have Not: "If you need me just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you Steve? Ya just put your lips together and...blow."

2.) 1st interview between Clarice Starling and Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs.

3.) Proto-Man discovers the tool in 2001-A Space Odyssey.

4.) 25% of the scenes in the film Chinatown.

Indania Jones and the Lost Arc.
Indy, pulls out the revolver to shoot the Swordsman.

Blues Brothers,

Jake and Elwood lying in the destroyed phone booth after having been blown to bits by Jakes bazooka packing ex.
"Wow, there must be $10 worth of quarters here!" (not an exact quote)

Originally posted by Monique
Without ever having said a word to him (in adulthood) (they used to shine mirrors to each other as small kids from their bedroom window), she pulls him into her apartment and closes the door. She indicates silence by bringing her indexfinger to the mouth.

Sorry, tangent.

I LOVED that movie.
Every second, every detail.
But I didn't think they were shining the mirrors at each other.
Just that they both did that.
But I couldn't ever be sure.

You think they were shining the mirrors at each other?

Originally posted by Integral
Indania Jones and the Lost Arc.
Indy, pulls out the revolver to shoot the Swordsman.

Blues Brothers,

Jake and Elwood lying in the destroyed phone booth after having been blown to bits by Jakes bazooka packing ex.
"Wow, there must be $10 worth of quarters here!" (not an exact quote)

actually that was harrison ford's idea. In fact the guy who played the swordsman was really p'oed because he practiced this really elaborate sword fight for months, and then harrison's idea is to just shoot him- which was awesome.

and I just saw the blues brothers this weekend. Love it:)

Cheech and Chong: Up in smoke

Roughly:

Hey man, what kind of weed is this? I've never tasted anything like it.

Black Lab

Man, I never heard of that, where does it come from?

My dog

Your dog?

Ya man, my dog ate my weed and I had to wait a week to get it back.

When Pvt. Pyle blows away Sgt. Hartman in Full Metal Jacket.

I guess that are the final phrases of the replicant Roy Batty in Blade Runner, when he speaks about ships in flames in Orion and that is time to die. I think that is a very emotive moment

Wow. Good topic. And some great movie scenes already mentioned.

Ivan Seeking, I must agree that Metropolis gave us some great scenes. The transformation from robot to human women was great, early special effects that I think are still very cool.

Recon, I also like the LOTR movies, but in terms of great scenes, I think the very best thing about them is the remarkable scenery of New Zealand. The place looks beautiful.

Monique, I have never seen Amelie, but I will hire it and have a look.

Njorl, I liked O'Toole in Lawrence Of Arabia, particularly the famous "No prisoners!" Again, lots of groovy scenery in that movie.

Zero, the scene with Luke and Darth Vader is a classic, hero confronting the villain.

Mentat, I have to agree that Equilibrium has given us some great action. I particularly liked the bit where the hero killed all the cops out in the slums. And of course the moment when his feedback to the polygraph flatlined, and the tester realizes why. Nightcrawler taking out the SS was very cool.

Andy, although I dislike the glorification of criminal scum by Hollywood, that scene from Reservoir Dogs was indeed quite cool.

Integral, Indy shooting the swordsman was great. The Blues Brothers has a million great scenes.

As for my own favourites not yet mentioned...

There is a SHORT chunk of computer graphics in Independence Day which I think is great. Two Hornets race down toward the ground and the camera with alien fighters behind, shooting. The city is all rubble and flames. The shot lasts about a second.

Casablanca has so many great scenes that I won't waste bandwidth describing them all. The Maltese Falcon as well.

In Star Wars, when C3PO and R2D2 are wandering around the desert, and C3PO has a hissy fit at R2D2, and they head different directions.

A Knight's Tale, when the hero refuses to run despite certain DOOM! "Doom" should always be said in a big way. :P

Dude, Where's My Car? When Chester says "I've always wondered what a fridge full of chocolate pudding would look like."

Dune, when Paul takes the water of life and does a bit of that space-foldy stuff. (Yes, I know it is not like the book, but I still like the movie.)

Big Trouble In Little China, when Jack Burton is in his truck and says "... And take his advice on a dark and stormy night when the lightnin's crashin' and the thunder's roarin' and the rain's comin' down in sheets thick as led... Just remember what old Jack Burton does when the Earth quakes and the poison arrows fall from the sky and the pillars of heaven shake... Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right square in the eye and he says 'Gimme your best shot, pal. I can take it.'" http://www.wingkong.net

The last battle scene in blade where he fights his way to frost.

The bar scene in Good will hunting where will makes the ponytail guy look like a complete ass.

Last edited:
In Ran, during the first slaughter scene, when the red army is storming the first castle.

The Music Man: When the main character goes on the huge tangent musical scene while explaining to the director of Momentum Pictures what the scene will be like.

Rififi: The 30 minute silent sequence of the robbery.

Solaris (1972): Ending Sequence.

Taxi Driver: Dream thing at the end.

Aguirre, The Wrath of God: "That man is a head taller than me..."

My Neighbor Totoro: Waiting for the father's bus while the flying cat bus comes around.

Nosferatu: Scene on the ship, with the coffins.

There are definitely a huge number more that I think are excellent, but these came to mind.

Last edited:
Originally posted by einsteinian77

The bar scene in Good will hunting where will makes the ponytail guy look like a complete ass.
Or the Scene in Good Will Hunting II: Hunting Season, where Will blows ponytail guy away with a shotgun..."Applesauce, b*tch!"

Sophie's Choice - the choice scene at the Nazi concentration camp.

The Natural - hospital scene when Glenn Close says "I believe we have two lives...The life we learn with and the life we live with after that."

Starman - when Jeff Bridges' character says greetings and melts the dude's lug wrench and at the end when they both kiss Shermin with the state trooper looking on.

Les Miserables - Jean Valjean and Fantine sit down and eat cheese.

Conspiracy Theory - scene at the horse farm when Gibson finally gets his memory back.

Contact - Foster's character listening on headphones for radio signals sitting on the hood of her car by the edge of the Grand Canyon.

Rosetta - Emilie Dequenne's character smashes a bottle of liquor to keep her alcoholic mother on the wagon.

The Big Labowski - the dude abides

The scene in Time Bandits where the evil genius is talking to his minions about his "understanding".

Evil Genius (David Warner) When I have the map, I will be free, and the world will be different, because I have understanding.

Robert (Derek Deadman) Understanding of what, master?

Evil Genius - Digital watches. And soon I will have understanding of videocassette recorders and car telephones. And when I have understanding of them, I shall have understanding of computers. And when I have understanding of computers, I shall be the Supreme Being! God isn't interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time: forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!

Robert - Slugs.

Evil Genius - Slugs! He created slugs! They can't hear, they can't speak, they can't operate machinery. If I were creating the world, I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would've started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one.

I love that movie. Terry Gilliam, John Cleese, Michael Palin, Sean Connery.

My favorite movie scene is this one from Halloween:

http://www.creepyclips.com/pics/hallo020.jpg

Attachments

• hal2.jpg
    hal2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Oh actually after watching Moonraker today i have decided that the scene where Jaws falls in love with the blonde after the cable car crashes is the best.

Originally posted by einsteinian77

Very good choice; I can't believe I didn't think of that.

The Good Will Hunting scene where Will schools the guy in the bar. The same as others have noted.

The scene in Amadeus where Mozart recapitulates Salieri's composition for his arrival at the palace. He proceeds to "fix" the composition, and after a few moments it sounds nothing like the original.

Any scene in Amadeus.

When the Ents storm Isengard in LOTR TTT.

That's all that immediately comes to mind.

I am voting for Tsunami here

Not the best scene, but a movie scene that made her as happy as any I have ever witnessed:

Star Trek Generations; the death of Kirk.

Originally posted by Zantra
actually that was harrison ford's idea. In fact the guy who played the swordsman was really p'oed because he practiced this really elaborate sword fight for months, and then harrison's idea is to just shoot him- which was awesome.

I heard that the reason they did that scene was because Harrison Ford was having a really bad stomachache at the time as was the same with everyone in the cast/crew except for Mr. Spielberg (who ate some American meal while the others had local dishes).

I would have to say the first scene in the Matrix, when Trinity kick some cops. It is the first time you see such special effects and you say "Wow, what was that".

In american pie, Jim and the apple pie scene. Great laugh

OMG. I wasn't going to post this, but I swear I absolutely crack up every time I think of this scene. Keep in mind, I'm a medical worker. I've can take a lot of this kind of thing. Most of us have a VERY perverse sense of humor.

The Barf-o-Rama scene in 'Stand by Me'.

I laughed SO HARD I HURT!

(sorry if I made you sick...)

1. What is the plot of "Metropolis"?

The plot of "Metropolis" revolves around a futuristic city divided into two classes: the wealthy ruling class who live above ground and the workers who live underground and operate the machines that power the city. The story follows the son of the city's ruler, Freder, as he discovers the harsh conditions of the working class and falls in love with Maria, a woman who leads the workers in a peaceful protest against the ruling class.

2. Who directed "Metropolis"?

"Metropolis" was directed by German filmmaker Fritz Lang. It was released in 1927 and is considered one of the most influential sci-fi films in cinema history.

3. What makes the movie scene from "Metropolis" so iconic?

The movie scene from "Metropolis" is iconic for its groundbreaking special effects, intricate set design, and powerful imagery. The scene shows the transformation of Maria into a robot, which is a powerful symbol of the dehumanization of the working class in the film.

4. How did the production team create the special effects in "Metropolis"?

The special effects in "Metropolis" were created using a combination of miniatures, matte paintings, and stop-motion animation. The use of these techniques was groundbreaking at the time and helped create the futuristic and otherworldly atmosphere of the film.

5. What is the significance of "Metropolis" in film history?

"Metropolis" is considered a landmark film in the history of cinema. It is not only a groundbreaking sci-fi film, but it also explores themes of class struggle, industrialization, and the dangers of technology. Its influence can be seen in countless films that came after it, making it a timeless classic and a must-watch for any film enthusiast.