Nucleon Potential: Why 3D Harmonic Oscillator?

In summary, the potential energy of a nucleon within a nucleus is approximated by a 3D harmonic oscillator potential because it is easier to work with the many body wave functions. This approximation is not a perfect fit and the actual effective potential is more like a rounded square well, such as the Hultén potential. The Yukawa potential, which arises from scalar meson exchange, is not used in larger nuclei due to the Pauli principle allowing nucleons to pass freely through the nucleus until they near an edge. The nucleons in a nucleus are in quantized bound states and the nucleus is like a sphere with a radius of 1.2A^(1/3)fm. To change states due to interaction, a nucle
quantumfireball
Why is the potential energy of a nucleon within the nucleus approximated by 3D harmonic oscillator potential?
Is the 3D harmonic oscillator potential approximately equal to the yukawa potential experienced by the nucleon as a result of all the other nuclei(ie collectively) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
A harmonic oscillator has a potential that goes as ~x2. The Taylor series of any potential looks like x2 near the minimum. So you can always approximate with a harmonic oscillator. That's just mathematics.

How good this approximation is, that's physics.

The SHO is used because the many body wave functions are easier to work with.
The actual effective potential is more like a somewhat rounded square well.
The Yukawa potential does not act because the Pauli principle tends to let the nucleons pass freely through the nucleus until they near an edge.

The Hultén potential is an analytical potential for the deuteron, i.e the N-P force.

Remember also that we here only discuss the RADIAL part of the potential, there are SS parts, LS parts, etc. as well

malawi_glenn said:
The Hultén potential is an analytical potential for the deuteron, i.e the N-P force.

Remember also that we here only discuss the RADIAL part of the potential, there are SS parts, LS parts, etc. as well
The Hulthen potential is an approximate two-nucleon potential, it is not the potential seen by a nucleon in a nucleus.

clem said:
The Hulthen potential is an approximate two-nucleon potential, it is not the potential seen by a nucleon in a nucleus.

Yes, I have not stated anything else.

Another used potential for nucleons inside a nucleus which has not been mentioned is the wood saxon, which is the one you are referring to as "a rounded square well".

I am not familiar with the Yukawa potential when talking about the potential energy of a nucleon inside a nucleus, only when discussing the nucleon-nucleon force, since the yukawa potential arises due to scalar meson exchange.. that's why I mentioned the hulten potential.

The YP is due to pseudoscalar exchange.
The YP and HP are both used in the N-N interaction, but not in larger nuclei.
You are not "not familiar with the Yukawa potential when talking about the potential energy of a nucleon inside a nucleus", because as I said in my post, it does not act there.
You are right in identifying my simplification as the Woods-Saxon potential.

clem said:
The Yukawa potential does not act because the Pauli principle tends to let the nucleons pass freely through the nucleus until they near an edge.

What PEP has got to do?
Plz make it more clear.
What do you mean by edge?

The nucleons in a nucleus are all in quantized bound states.
In order for a nucleon to change its state due to interaction, it must be raised to a higher unoccupied state. Most of the interactions do not provide enough energy for that.
The nucleus is like a sphere of radius 1.2A^(1/3)fm. A nucleon does not get affected by the forces until it tries to leave the nucleus at its edge.
You should read a nuclear physics book instead of this forum.

clem said:
You should read a nuclear physics book instead of this forum.

Which authors do you recommend??
BTW what potential is used to model the interaction between neutron and proton in deuterium nucleus?
should'nt it be the Yukawa potential.
If so does the equation admit solutions that are similar to that of electron in hydrogen atom for the theta-phi part .The radial part depending on the potential

The Hulthen potential is a fairly simple for the deuteron.
The N-N potential has a hard core at small distance, which is lacking in the Yukawa potential.
The angular part for any spherically symmetric potential is the same (spherical harmonics).
However the N-N system has only one bound state, and it is sphericallly symmetric with no angular dependence.
I am not familiar with new books on nuclear physics, but Henley and Fraunfelder wrote a good book some time ago. You should know QM to read it.

Related to Nucleon Potential: Why 3D Harmonic Oscillator?

1. What is a nucleon potential?

A nucleon potential is a mathematical model used to describe the interactions between nucleons (protons and neutrons) in the nucleus of an atom.

2. Why is the 3D harmonic oscillator used in nucleon potential?

The 3D harmonic oscillator is used in nucleon potential because it accurately describes the motion of nucleons in the nucleus, which can be thought of as a three-dimensional harmonic oscillator system.

3. How does the 3D harmonic oscillator model work?

The 3D harmonic oscillator model works by describing the motion of nucleons in the nucleus as a combination of three oscillating motions along the x, y, and z axes. These oscillations are governed by the potential energy function, which is based on the 3D harmonic oscillator equation.

4. What factors affect the nucleon potential?

The nucleon potential is affected by several factors, including the number of nucleons in the nucleus, the distance between nucleons, and the strength of the force between them. Additionally, the shape of the nucleus and the energy levels of the nucleons also play a role in determining the nucleon potential.

5. How is the nucleon potential used in nuclear physics?

The nucleon potential is used in nuclear physics to understand the structure and behavior of nuclei. It helps to explain the stability of different elements, the binding energy of the nucleus, and the properties of nuclear reactions. It is also used in the development of nuclear technologies, such as nuclear power and nuclear weapons.