Nuclear Engineering - Recommended Coursework

In summary, the speaker is an upcoming freshman at Texas A&M entering the Nuke program. They are looking for recommended readings to get a head start in their studies before the official start of school. The recommended readings include Lamarsh's Introduction to Nuclear Engineering and Nuclear Energy by Raymond Murray. Another, more expensive option is Nuclear Engineering by Neil Todreas.
foobanksnuc
Hello Hello,

I'm an upcoming Freshman at Texas A&M and am entering the Nuke program there. Just curious as if there is some material I can get my hands on to expose myself to the topics going to be discussed, before the official start of school. I don't need university specific texts, just good material to read.

I slammed through Cal 1 & 2 last summer before my senior year on my own, and it helped me excel in my Cal classes - so I thought I could bring those good habits into this summer and get that same heads up.

I know basic Nuclear chemistry from outside study and my AP chem class a few years ago. I know physics up through Mechanics and partly into Electromag.

I also can name every country in Europe;
And every fruit I've eaten in the past 24 hours.

But that's neither here nor there, any recommended readings?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey foobanksnuc,

If it's your freshman year, you'll want to look at Lamarsh's Introduction to Nuclear Engineering. It gives a basic outline of most nuclear subjects you'll cover in an undergraduate course of study: radioactivity, reactivity, effects of radiation, and even a little history.

Nuclear Energy, Sixth Edition: An Introduction to the Concepts, Systems, and Applications of Nuclear Processes by Raymond Murray is a standard introductory level text.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0123705479/?tag=pfamazon01-20 - new & used are available.

There are older versions with less detail, which are inexpensive. I used an older version when I taught the introductory course at A&M.

A bit more pricey be good text is Nuclear Engineering: Theory And Technology Of Commercial Nuclear Power (SCPP) by Neil Todreas.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1560320893/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Nuclear Engineering - Recommended Coursework

1. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the study and application of nuclear energy, nuclear reactions, and nuclear materials. It combines principles from multiple disciplines, including physics, chemistry, and engineering, to design and develop systems and processes that harness nuclear energy for various purposes.

2. What are the recommended coursework for a degree in nuclear engineering?

The recommended coursework for a degree in nuclear engineering typically includes subjects such as nuclear physics, reactor theory, radiation protection, nuclear materials, heat transfer, and thermodynamics. Additionally, courses in mathematics, computer science, and engineering design are also important for a well-rounded education in this field.

3. Are there any specialized courses in nuclear engineering?

Yes, there are specialized courses in nuclear engineering that focus on specific areas, such as nuclear power plant design, nuclear waste management, and nuclear safety analysis. These courses provide in-depth knowledge and skills in a particular aspect of nuclear engineering and are often taken as electives in advanced levels of study.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math and science for a degree in nuclear engineering?

Yes, a strong foundation in math and science is essential for a degree in nuclear engineering. This field involves complex mathematical and scientific principles, and a solid understanding of these subjects is necessary for success. It is recommended to have a strong background in subjects such as calculus, physics, and chemistry before pursuing a degree in nuclear engineering.

5. What career opportunities are available for nuclear engineers?

Nuclear engineers can work in various industries, including energy production, nuclear medicine, research and development, and national defense. They can also specialize in different areas, such as reactor design, nuclear safety, or fuel management. With the increasing demand for clean and efficient energy sources, the job outlook for nuclear engineers is expected to be positive in the coming years.