Nuclear charge from a potential electrostatic energy

In summary, for the reaction between iron and sulfuric acid, iron is oxidized and sulfur is reduced. Iron loses electrons and sulfur gains electrons in the reaction.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Question: "Given an electrostatic potential energy of -6.16x10^-18 J and a distance of 1.12x10^-10m, what is the nuclear charge if there is a single electron interacting with the nucleus?"

Okay, Equation:
PE = [K*Q1*Q2]/d

Where K is a constant of 8.99*10^9 J*m/c
d is giving at 1.12*10^-10m
PE is giving at -6.16*10^-18 J
Q1 is giving as the charge of an electron at 1.602 * 10^-19 C
Q2 is what we solve for, which, plugging in the equation is -4.79*10^-19

This equation is easy enough to plug in. HOWEVER, am I answering the equation? Is Q2 = to the nuclear charge? I guess that is where I am confused.

And for Q2 I received a negative charge, I would imagine this is correct since PE is initially negative and the charge of an electron was positive? Or do I have it backwards?

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized I may have posted this with the worst possible title of a thread. I apologize.

Can anyone confirm that the MOLAR MASS of Mo(CO)6 is 264.0 ?

RJLiberator said:
I just realized I may have posted this with the worst possible title of a thread. I apologize.

Can anyone confirm that the MOLAR MASS of Mo(CO)6 is 264.0 ?

Yep, looks OK.

Interesting. I got that answer marked wrong on the online application. It must be due to the amount of figures, however the question explicitly states to go to one decimal point on all of these questions. I will e-mail my professor before going through my second attempt.

Anyone have any idea on the first one? I got it marked incorrectly and I am not sure if its because of the sign, significant figures or error in calculation.

Sorry for posting all of my junk here. However, I am having the most difficulty with this homework. I want to understand, but I feel like I am missing an integral piece. Anyway, I will keep treading on. Here is my next question.

"For the reaction between Iron and sulfuric acid, which element is reduced?" And which is oxidized?
a) Iron
b) Hydrogen
c) Sulfur

Okay. Well, the equation should be

2Fe (s) + 3H2SO4 (aq) ---> Fe2(SO4)3 (aq) + 3H2 (g)

Oxidization refers to loss of electrons in the reaction. Reduction is the gain of electrons.

Well naturally, Iron will look to loss electrons. So that would make it the obvious choice to be oxidized.
However, who gains electrons? My initial guess is "Sulfate." However, that is not an option. I attempted with oxygen previously and it was incorrect. So it must be Sulfur?

1. What is nuclear charge?

Nuclear charge refers to the positive electric charge that is contained within the nucleus of an atom. It is equal to the number of protons in the nucleus and determines the chemical properties of an element.

2. How is nuclear charge related to electrostatic energy?

Nuclear charge and electrostatic energy are directly related because the nuclear charge is responsible for the attractive force between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electrons. This attraction creates the electrostatic energy that holds the atom together.

3. How is nuclear charge calculated?

Nuclear charge is calculated by simply counting the number of protons in an atom's nucleus. This number is also known as the atomic number and is represented by the letter Z.

4. How does nuclear charge affect the size of an atom?

The higher the nuclear charge, the smaller the size of an atom. This is because the increased number of positively charged protons in the nucleus exerts a stronger force of attraction on the negatively charged electrons, pulling them closer to the nucleus and making the atom more compact.

5. Can nuclear charge be changed?

No, nuclear charge cannot be changed without altering the element itself. It is a fundamental property of an atom and is determined by the number of protons in the nucleus. Changing the number of protons would result in a different element with distinct chemical properties.