I'm lost on this angular acceleration problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular speed of a car's wheels, given its velocity and diameter. The solution involves using the velocity of a point on the outer rim of the wheel to calculate the angular frequency of the wheel. This technique is explained in more detail in a linked article.
falcon0311
Okay, so there's a car traveling 97km/h (26.94 m/s). It's wheels have a diameter of 76cm (0.76 m), so the radius of the wheels are 0.38 m. I'm supposed to find the angular speed of the wheels about the axle.

Can I say the speed of a tangent from the wheels is 26.94 m/s and use that to find the angular velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by falcon0311

Can I say the speed of a tangent from the wheels is 26.94 m/s and use that to find the angular velocity?

Yes, that's exactly what you should do. 26.94 m/s is the velocity of a point on the outer rim of the wheel, so you can use that to calculate the angular frequency of the wheel.

http://physics.about.com/cs/rotationalmotion/a/010703.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a bunch Chen!

1. How do I calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula is: α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is the angular acceleration, ω2 and ω1 are the final and initial angular velocities, and t2 and t1 are the final and initial times.

2. What unit is used to measure angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

3. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the rotational speed of an object. Linear acceleration, on the other hand, refers to the rate of change of linear velocity, which is the speed of an object in a straight line.

4. What are some real-life examples of angular acceleration?

Some common examples of angular acceleration include the rotation of a Ferris wheel, the spinning of a top, the swinging of a pendulum, and the turning of a car's wheels.

5. How can I use angular acceleration in problem-solving?

Angular acceleration can be used to solve problems involving rotational motion, such as finding the final angular velocity or the time taken for an object to reach a certain angular velocity. It is also useful in understanding the forces and torques acting on an object in rotational motion.